Order of the Olympians Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Nico's head spun. His movements towards the cheering table were simply mechanical and he barely registered the slaps to his back, the sly, curious glances in his direction, or even the look of newfound respect plastered on Draco Malfoy's face. He racked his brain for any hidden memories that the sorting hat could have pulled out to make that comment about his past, but grew frustrated when he couldn't remember anything.

Hogwarts just might be the key....I would start in the library...

He made a mental note to find the library the second he had a moment of spare time, but forced himself to be aware of his surroundings when the headmaster began to speak.

"To our newcomers, "said Dumbledore in a ringing voice, his arms stretched wide and a beaming smile on his lips, "welcome! To our old hands-welcome back! There is a time for speech making, but this is not it. Tuck in!" (OofP)

Nico's eyes widened a fraction when heaps of food appeared before him at the table. All kinds of meat, salad, vegetables, bread, and drinks. Too much to keep track of. He glanced around, feeling completely out of place. Behind him he could see Will laughing with his new Hufflepuff friends, and Percy and Annabeth were chatting with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and a few Gryffindors Nico hadn't met yet.

"It's a lot to take in, huh?" A tall, dark skinned boy with high cheekbones said to him while taking a bite of a chicken leg.

Nico moved the hair out of his face and grabbed a piece of bread from one of the platters. "Uh..yeah. You could say that."

The dark-skinned boy raised his chicken leg in the air, "Well, you've been sorted into the best house at Hogwarts, Nico, so you've obviously got something going for you. My name's Blaise. Blaise Zabini."

Nico nodded towards Blaise and took a few bites of his food before he felt some commotion coming from his left. Draco was coming towards him, followed by two heavier set boys.

Draco stopped beside Nico with his arms crossed over his chest, jerking his chin at smaller boys sitting next to him. They hurriedly rushed to find another spot. Blaise grinned as Draco and his two bodyguards took their places.

"So, you must not be so bad after all, di Angelo." Draco sneered, popping a small keish into his mouth. "I'm going to overlook the incident on the train, just this once." He put his hands on the table and leaned in close.

"Don't make me regret it." He whispered, not breaking eye contact with the demigod. Nico held his breath for three seconds to keep his cool. He wouldn't make a scene within the first five minutes of being a Slytherin. He needed to make some friends here.

Before he could respond, a first year yelped, causing the boys' attention to follow the sound. A pale ghost with a gaunt face appeared behind Nico, and for a second, he thought he had accidently brought the dead to Hogwarts.

When Draco straightened with a cool smile playing across his lips, Nico realized that the ghost with silver bloodstains, chains, and a powdered wig must belong here. "Ah, The Bloody Baron. Come meet the newest Slytherin." He said with a wave towards Nico.

The ghost took a low bow, never taking his swirling black eyes off of Nico's face. "It is a pleasure having you here, my Lord. Shall you, or your Father, ever need anything, I am at your eternal service." With that, he dissipated into a puff of smoke, leaving a stretch of chilly air surrounding the boys.

Nico almost chuckled as he turned around to find a set of shocked stares staring back at him.

"Your father must be something else to earn the Bloody Baron's respect like that..." The heavy-set boy with a large neck muttered in a sort of awe.