Order of the Olympians Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"He did WHAT?" Percy growled menacingly underneath the lone tree next to the Black Lake. Harry and Hermione had just explained to Ron and the demigods why they had missed the match. While Ron was disappointed that his best friends didn't watch him play, he was more concerned with the fact that Hagrid brought his half-brother back from Giant-country and had been hiding him in the Forbidden Forest all year.

The demigods, on the other hand, were absolutely furious. "Does he even realize how dangerous Giants are? They almost overtook the gods last year! The freaking gods! The Gigantes are the children of Gaea and Tartarus, Harry! They can only be killed by a demigod and god working together. Do you see any gods available for hire running around out here? Because I sure as hell don't!"

Harry and Hermione leaned away from Percy's tantrum, and Annabeth shot him a warning look. "Obviously these Giants are a different breed than the Gigantes that we fought, Seaweed Brain."

Nico, however, was on Percy's side. "That doesn't make them any less dangerous, Annabeth. They said...Grawp...was at least sixteen feet tall, and that he was the runt of the family. If he got out of the Forest, just think of the damage he could do to Hogwarts!"

Will tried to step in between his friends before an all-out shouting match could commence, "Guys! Chill out, will you?" When he was satisfied that he had their attention, he continued. "This will only become a problem if Hagrid is fired, so why don't we put our worries on hold for a hot minute, okay?"

Hermione groaned, "But Will, Hagrid is going to be sacked! Umbridge despises him, and she blames him for the rogue Niffler that destroyed her office. It won't be long now..." She said miserably.

"Well, did he do it?" Ron asked, earning him a glare from Harry.

"Of course not! Everyone is just playing pranks on Umbridge ever since Fred and George left. He would never set a magical creature loose!"

Hermione and Ron snorted, "Do you not remember Norbert? Or Fluffy? What about Aragog?" he said, his voice quivering just a bit at the mention of the giant spider.

Annabeth pinched the bridge of her nose in annoyance and returned her attention to Percy. "Not all Giants are bad, Seaweed Brain. You know this. We both do!" She pulled out her wand and whispered nostos, earning her the full use of the Drakon Bone sword.

The Son of Poseidon held her gaze for a moment longer before casting his eyes down, feeling a bit deflated. "She's right. We would have never survived Tartarus without Damasen's help."

Nico's eyes wandered along the castle's outline in the distance, "One semi-friendly Giant who didn't want to kill you doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies about Grawp. Having him near the school is just too dangerous."

Annabeth closed her eyes, not sure what else to contribute to the argument. "Harry, Hermione, I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Nico here. Hagrid has lost his mind if he thinks you three are going into that forest without backup."

Harry saw his opening, but before he could say anything, Percy caught onto it. "Without backup? He's lost his mind if he thinks they are going back in there at all! I'm not about to let these three wander into the Forbidden Forest playing teacher to a giant that could crush them in two seconds flat and not even bat an eye!"

Percy argued back and forth with the demigods for a few more minutes before Harry yelled, "Oi! SHUT UP! That's enough!"

Four very intense, very heated gazes were shot his way, and Harry almost crumpled under the pressure. "I appreciate you all looking out for us, I do! Hermione and I knew that you guys would react like this...and we agreed that we wouldn't go in without at least one of you with us."