15

The sound of pots and pans being hit together makes me jolt awake. Four stands near the doorway to the dormitory with Eric standing on his left.

"Rise and shine, initiates," Eric's voice booms. "We are going on a field trip. Everyone needs to be on the train in thirty minutes."

I wipe my eyes and then focus them back on Eric, making eye contact in the process. His mouth turns up at the corner briefly before he looks away and exits the room. Four follows after him.

I throw the covers off and stretch before getting up. I stand up and straighten my bed up before going through the trunk at the end of my bed for some clothes. I grab a black sweater and pull it on over my black tank top. I reach for a black pair of jeans and a pair of socks. I slip into my jeans before sitting on my bed to put my socks and boots on.

"I'm ready," I say, standing up and facing Tera.

She is bent over, lacing up her boot laces. She stands and says, "Ready."

We make our way through the halls and to the train tracks. Four and Eric are already waiting when we get there.

"I'm glad I put a sweater on," I say, rubbing my arms. Despite it being early September, it is kind of chilly this morning.

"What happened yesterday?" Tera says, her voice low. "You freaked out and ran off."

"It was nothing." I drop my head and focus on my boots.

"Come on--" She rests her hand on my shoulder, a look of concern on her face-- "it wouldn't have affected you if it were nothing."

"I'm, uh, not ready to talk about it."

"Okay, I understand." She drops her hand. "When you're ready, I'm here."

"Thank you," I say, managing a small smile.

The sound of footsteps breaks my attention away from her and I glance behind me. Finn and Oliver walk this way. Finn's face breaks out in a grin when he sees us.

"My girls." He pulls us in for a group hug and I smile.

"Hey, Finn," I say. "Hey, Oliver."

He waves and shoves his hands in his pockets. Oliver does not really talk much, which is odd, considering he came from Candor.

"Where do you think we're going?" Tera's question is directed at Finn.

Finn and Tera seem to have gotten closer while I was staying with Eric. I mean, they were close before, but it is different now. I've noticed the looks and smiles they share when they think no one is looking. I would not be surprised if they make it official before the end of initiation, that is if they haven't already done so.

"I think we're touring the fence," he says with a shrug. "That's what I heard anyway."

The conversation ceases because the sound of the train roaring closer distracts them. Eric and Four start to jog, and the rest of us do the same. The train zips past, and I throw myself on the train. I use the handle to pull myself in and lean against the wall of the cart to try and catch my breath. Tera, Finn, and Oliver pile in after me, each giving me a look of concern.

"Are you okay?" Tera says, stepping forward and analyzing my facial expression.

I nod and straighten up. "Just a little harder to do, is all."

The feeling of being watched gives me goosebumps. I glance up and lock eyes with Reid, who is currently glaring daggers at me. On the floor next to him is Thomas, who is focused on his boots. Their ringleader is nowhere to be found. I raise a brow before turning my attention back to my friends, not letting his presence bother me. They would not dare try anything with this many witnesses around, let alone Eric.