Cal

I feel my face flush when she calls me Tiberias. She knows how much I want to distance myself from it. Even now when it doesn't mean anything anymore. Hearing it come from her reminds me of a time last year when I was blinded by my fathers wishes. But I look down and see she is smiling and suddenly all my fears are erased.

Of course, she was just teasing!

But my next words still come out barely above a growl,

"Don't call me that."

I look down at her eyes and raise one of my eyebrows. I continue to walk in the direction of her room. Her next words come out in a teasing, flirty tone. They are unexpected.

"Make me."

I feel my face flush as my eyes widen in surprise. I feel myself heating up, hot to the touch. I consider my next move. Do I respond with a word? With an action? What does she want. My mind races by me at a thousand miles an hour. But I meet her eyes again and I see by the longing in their deep brown depths that she wants me. I decide to go big, since tonight I don't plan on going home.

I swing her over my shoulder like she weighs nothing, now carrying her by her legs, her arms and upper body pressed against my back. She lets out a very undignified squeal and I have to keep from laughing.

"Cal!" She calls out in shock, continuing to writhe in my arms. 

I cannot anymore contain my laughter and let out a truly genuine laugh. My first one in days.

"Quiet, or you'll wake the whole floor" I whisper.

"What do I care?" she says and continues to protest, but somewhat quieter than before.

 We arrive at her rooms soon enough and I set her down on her doorstep. As she moves past me towards the door I land a quick swat on her rear. She blushes pink and puts a hand where I had struck, biting her lip.

"What on earth was that for?" she asks, looking up at me and biting her lip once more.

"Making such a noise in the hallway. Especially after I asked you to quiet down."

She fights to hide a smile. I let mine break through. A piece of hair has come loose from her braid. I absentmindedly tuck it behind her ear. She takes ahold of my hand gently and caresses it with her own, feeling my warmth on her cheek. I lean down and plant a slow, deep kiss on her lips. In this moment all my exhaustion from the lack of sleep and last few days events has disappeared. In this moment I feel whole again.

I pull away from her after a moment and let my hand run down her face until I reach her chin. I graze it slightly. I missed the curve of her cheekbones and the small divot in her chin. I let my hand rest there for a moment, enjoying the feeling. Then I pull away, smiling at her as I take a small step back.

"Goodnight, Mare."

I begin to turn away when she catches my arm.

"Will you stay?"

I cannot deny that I want to.

"The rumors will spread Mare. People will know tomorrow" I warn, not refusing her offer.

She shakes her head and pulls me into the open door behind her,

"Let people talk."

She shuts the door behind us.