Cal

I don't completely remember getting dressed. I remember snippets, putting my cufflinks on, laughing with Kilorn, hugging Julian, shaking hands with Mr. Barrow, Bree, and Tramy. Hugging Julian again. That happened a lot. 

I see him standing at the top of the small platform in the front of the room as I look through the door. My eyes stray to the seats in the front row. Sara, Mrs. Barrow, Ptolemus, Premier Davidson and his husband. And the one empty seat. You knew she wouldn't come, Tiberias. It was foolish to even hope. 

I look at my hands, twisting my silver bracelet around my wrist. I am not going to let her ruin what is about to be the best day of my life. I never dreamed that my wedding day would be anything more than a day when I was paired with the most powerful woman in the kingdom and pushed one step closer to being king. But now, it is the day I pledge myself eternally to the person I love most in this world. Enjoy this. A happiness you never could have dreamed of before. 

"Whatcha doin?" Kilorn's voice drifts from behind me. 

I spin around. "Kilorn?" I say in surprise, "Shouldn't you be back with Eve and Mare?" I ask, confused and mildly concerned he has such a blatant disregard for instructions.

"Nah." He says, shooting me a crooked grin. "Eve and I talked it over. I'm the best man, so shouldn't I be walking with my best man?" He asks.

I can't help the smile that splits my face. Before he can say anything else I crush him into a tight embrace. 

"Thank you" I whisper, squeezing him tightly as I feel my eyes prickle with tears. 

"Oof- uh, anytime Cal, but could you maybe lay off for a second? You're crushing me." 

I let him go and take a step back, smiling at him. 

"Sweet sentiment." A sharp voice cuts through the air and we both turn around quickly.  "But I think walking with Tiberias is my job. That is, if he'll still have me." 

I can't stop the first of the tears that are gathered in my eyes from falling any longer. 

"Nanabel." I choke out as I pull the old woman into my arms. "You came."

She extracts herself from my large arms, "Of course I did, you are my grandson after all." She tries to sound stern but I see a smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

"Wow way to steal my moment." Kilorn fake grumbles from behind us. 

But even he can't hide his smile. 

"Evangeline will be very cross she has to share baby Clara's attention. Better go and break the news." He says, shooting me a smile and winking at Nanabel before sauntering back down the hallway towards the main entrance.

I watch him go with a smile. Nanabel takes my arm in hers. 

"You know, Robert would've loved her." She whispers as we walk out the side door and up to the platform. "She reminds me so much of Cory." 

I let my mouth fall open slightly and I see a smile play at her lips as she deposits me next to Julian. She kisses my cheek before taking her seat next to Sara in the first row. Again I feel tears already rising behind my eyes. 

As the chorus of string instruments start their tune, the precession begins. First comes Gisa and Tramy, arm in arm, Tramy holding a bouquet of lilac flowers and red roses. He did all the floral arrangements himself.

Next comes Farley and Bree. She leans slightly on him, though a nimble warrior, not altogether adept at walking in the high heels the bridal party opted for. She offers me a smile as she takes her place next to Gisa on the far side of the platform.