Elane

I do not leave Eve's bedside. Neither does Ptolemus. The two of us sit, in what I'm sure would be an awkward silence under any other circumstances. But if there's any event that could put the awkwardness of the past aside, it is this. The near death of the woman both of us love most.

I know that she is safe, but still I do not want to return to our chambers without her. Though she is in no danger, Sara assured me of that, it feels wrong to leave her by herself.

She should not be alone when she wakes up.

I doze in my chair. I can still her Ptolemus snoring quietly beside me, his head tilted back against the wall. I slip further into sleep, a restless one at that, stirring at every step in the hall outside. But finally I doze off. My dreams, like everyone else in the room, hell probably on the floor's, are haunted by images of the war that we were all so heavily involved in not long ago.

I am haunted by things I heard, things I saw, things I felt. For I saw a lot of what went on in Maven's court, and then in The Kingdom of the Rift, being like a fly on the wall as I stood in the shadows, swathed in light and invisible to sight.

I turn slightly in the chair, tearing myself from a nightmare. I hear footsteps approaching and sit up straight, preparing mentally to disappear. But it is Davidson who enters my room. I relax slightly, but meet his eyes.

"What is it?" I ask. He has already been to see Evangeline, and it is much too late for him to be here with anything but important news.

"I think it is best you come with me, Elane." He says, his eyes dark and serious. "There is something you need to see."

"I won't leave her." I snap. It comes sharper than I would like, but I do not relent. I will not leave Eve like this.

"Elane." he says, his face serious "This isn't something I can just say."

I meet his level gaze.

"Then it will have to wait until morning."

He sighs.

"Fine." he huffs "But I hoped to discuss strategy with you."

I narrow my eyes.

"Strategy for what?" I ask.

"Getting Eve to accept the position."

Suddenly I feel as though I've been punched in the gut.

"What do you mean. Julian isn't-"

I feel as though I'm drowning. All that work, everything, we did so much.

Sara said he was ok! I all but scream at him. But I take a breath, waiting for his answer.

"He will live." He says. "But he is powerless."

My jaw drops. I feel it drop but I can do nothing to stop it.

"He's what?" I feel my voice shaking.

"Powerless." Davidson repeats.

My mind swirls, I cannot fathom what he is saying.

"It is unprecedented, but Sara seemed unsurprised. She thought something like this might happen with his vitals suffering prolonged exposure to the stone. Our plan is either to fake his death and keep him hidden in Montfort the rest of his days, or to announce his early retirement due to the close brush with death. We will talk in the morning, you, Eve, me, Tiberias and Sara. We cannot handle word getting out to anyone past our immediate circle."

He doesn't have to say why.

If people find out silvers powers can be taken permanently, well the world would never be the same.

I nod.

"When she wakes up I will debrief her." I say, nodding my head slightly. "We will be there in the morning."

"There will be no need to debrief me." Eve's words cut through the air like a night, causing us both to jump slightly. "I have heard what's going on."

Davidson and I share a glance.

"Eve" he says "I didn't realize you were awake. Tonight you should focus on rest-"

She cuts him off, "I have heard what I need to. I will arrive at the meeting tomorrow with my decision."

Her voice is steady, unwavering, but I see in her eyes just how terrified she is.

The stakes have suddenly become so much higher.