Chapter 11 - Waltz

Elena awkwardly coughs. "We should get going now." She states and (Y/N) nods, allowing Nate to take the lead. He leads them through a tunnel and slows down towards the stairs, taking out the patrol.

"This river will take us straight up to the monastery." (Y/N) indicates and Nate gets on one of the jet-skis, with her behind him and Elena on the other.

As Nate pulls away and begins to take them upriver, they notice how the current is stronger than before. The silence takes over them with no conversation is made, only the sound of rushing water disturbing it.

Nate slows down as barrels come into view, ducking his head and (Y/N) blows them up, her other arm gripped around his waist. She then turns to check on Elena, who gives her a weary smile.

Driving under the bridge, Nate takes them through a tunnel and then struggles as he pushes to go up the small waterfalls.

Continuing upriver, they drive through the city. Out the other end of the tunnel, the surroundings were dark and gloomy, fog covering the area.

Nathan docks the jet ski and Elena does the same next to them, him offering a hand to the two and pulling them up next to him. "Okay, let's head up to the monastery and see what's going on."

The trio start to walk up the stairs and turn the corner, heading up more flight of stairs.

"This is giving me chills." (Y/N) admits, rubbing the goosebumps forming on her arms and watching Nate kick open a wooden gate. As he does, shots ring out and she's quick to pull him out of the way.

"Do they ever stop?" She grumbles, shooting one down as Nate takes care of the other two. They continue over the stone bridge and towards a wall with a metal, broken gate.

"Show me what you got." Nate teases, indicating for (Y/N) to have a go and her boot impacts with the gate. It creates a rustic sound as the gate spins and falls to the ground, completely coming off the wall.

"Show off." He mutters and she rolls her eyes, taking the lead.

"Would you slow down? One of Eddy's goons could be up ahead." Nate states, trailing behind them as Elena overtakes him.

The journalist turns to him, brushing past the leaves. "Come on, we left those clowns in the dust ages ago - oh my god!" She exclaims as she turns back around to come face to face with a spike and a man impaled on it.

"That's disgusting!" Elena says, moving to have a look. "I wish I had my camera. So.. what? The Spanish booby-trapped the island to protect their gold?"

"This wasn't made by the Spanish. Take a closer look at the spikes." (Y/N) studies, straightening up and Elena leans forward to take a closer look.

"You have got to be kidding me." Elena says, her eyes widening.

"This is from our plane." Nate realises.

"Wait, that doesn't make any sense, though. Why would someone set traps like this, when their own men are crawling all over the island?" Elena asks as Nate pushes past and kneels down.

"They wouldn't." He answers and (Y/N) looks over his shoulder to see weird shaped footprints. "Something's been here since the trap was sprung."

"Something or someone?" (Y/N) questions and Nate looks around.

"Do you think that -" Elena's cut off by Nate shushing her. "D'you hear that?" He questions as he stands back up.

"Hear what?" Elena whispers and (Y/N) shivers. "Nothing... absolutely nothing." She whispers back as they stand back to back in a sort of triangle.

"We're being watched." Nate informs, pulling out his pistol and (Y/N) copies him; Elena frantically looking around. "Watched?" Nate and (Y/N) share a glance before looking at Elena's feared face.

"Yeah, you know what, it's probably nothing." Nate says, hoping to calm her nerves as she hesitates. "Let's just get out of here before we run into whatever's been chewing this guy."

The mist swirls around at their feet. Nate places a hand on the small of (Y/N)'s back, making her jump at his touch. "Are you okay?" He mumbles and she nods, making him remove his hand.

As they come to the top of stairs, they take out another patrol, going up more. "Roman and Navarro can't be far off, if they've left their attack dogs at the gate." (Y/N) suggests and he nods in agreement.

Coming to a stop, they hide behind two stone half pillars, looking down to see men radio Navarro, warning them to keep the three away from Sully.

Heading under an archway, they make their way towards a fountain. The place had an eerie feel to it as the ravens flew from the trio's presence.

"I've got a bad feeling about this place." Elena states.

"Yeah, me too. Let's just find Sullivan and get the hell outta here." Nate agrees.

The three move through the buildings, fighting their way through multiple patrol points. Once it was all done and dusted, Elena points to a building. "That must be the library."

"Well, we're not gonna waltz right in the front door. Let's find another way in, scope things out." Nate suggests and (Y/N) sighs. "I wouldn't mind waltzing in the front door." She states and he chuckles, shaking his head.

"That's because you're the one always waltzing into danger." He replies and she jokingly sticks her tongue out. "I like to waltz!"