Chapter 17 - El Dorado

Navarro had an iron grip and blood from the flesh wound on (Y/N)'s arm trickled down onto her fingers, making her grimace. Her hands had been bound together, behind her back and she sighs.

"Look, if you're going to use me against Nate at least slow down. He has all your men and those weird things in his way, he'll be a while." She whines, tripping over her own feet.

"For once in your life, shut up." Roman orders from in front and Navarro pulls her along. Roman had the main source of light, as another man carried a flashlight, trailing along at the back of the group.

"Okay, is this some different way of getting to the statue?" (Y/N) asks and Navarro groans in annoyance. "Roman. Are you sure I can't just shoot her where she stands?" He pleads.

"Technically, shoot me where I walk." She corrects and he kicks her leg. "Hey! Ow!" She exclaims, elbowing him.

"Enough!" Roman shouts, turning to the pair and the pistol aims at her head once again as Roman calms himself down.

"(Y/N) here is being used to make sure Drake doesn't try anything... stupid." He reminds his companion, a smile on his face as he turns back and continues walking.

"That's not going to work, because if I know Drake, which I do, then he's the king of doing things stupid." (Y/N) hums.

"Why won't you ever shut up?" A man behind her says, pushing the gun into her back to help her walk faster.

"Because, when you get into this life and are dragged along with sad men like yourselves, you learn to just chat instead of panic." She replies, stumbling to keep pace.

They continue on, making their way back towards the church and (Y/N) looks around before landing her gaze on Navarro. "Can you let go of my arm?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because then you'd run away." He answers, gritting his teeth in frustration.

"Run to where? I have no idea where we are and those things are still out there, I doubt I'd get far." She informs him and he shakes his head, pushing her forward.

The group come out into an open space at the front of the church. The sky had dark clouds, but over in the corner was the slice of blood red from the sun. It was brightening up the darkened area, heating up the area.

(Y/N) winces at the sudden bright light, her eyes squinting to let the light seep in a little. The vest top she wore under her open flannel had darkened from both swear and blood. Navarro picks up the pace, shouting orders at his men to be posted around the area, waiting for Nate to strike.

Continuing on, two men push open the huge wooden doors of the church and Roman leads them in. Navarro positions his men in the church as they walk down the middle, stopping at a table.

"Move it. And make sure you cover it up when we're down." Roman orders two men, who push the table and reveal a hole in the floor.

"Woah..." (Y/N) breathes, but Navarro is keen to push her down, making her fall on her stomach. She groans and curses from the impact, shuffling on her front from not being able to do anything with her hands tied. 

Across her eyebrow there was a slit from the a rock, narrowly missing her eye and trickling down with red. Navarro chuckles and lands next to her, grabbing her arm and hoisting her up. She trips over feet, trying to get a footing.

"Gentle... gentle!" She scolds, keeping up.

They walk through catacombs, going down deeper until they find it. Moving out, the sunlight shines through the massive hole above them, bouncing off the golden El Dorado statue. Died out candles stood each side as spikes and bones hung from the ceiling.

The El Dorado statue glowed in the light, it's red and green jewels sparkling. (Y/N)'s eyes widen in shock, never once imaging it to be this beautiful and deadly.

Navarro pulls her out of her trance, taking her down the steps towards it. Roman stands in front of it, marvelling at the wonder in front of him. Navarro and (Y/N) stands to the side and his pistol had lowered from her, making her eye it in caution. 

There's silence as everybody around awes at the treasure. That is until there's quiet footsteps and the sound of a gun being loaded echoes around.