Chapter 12 - Invisible

Nate leads the way around the side of the library, towards a gap in the wall, giving them the perfect entry. Elena had drawn her pistol and was holding it up as they walked in, but Nate held out his hand, stopping them from going further.

"She worked in this little bar in the Philippines. Oh man, she had a smile that'd melt your heart." Sully's voice is heard and (Y/N) breathes a sigh of a relief, but her face masked confusion.

"But oh, I swear to God, she'd just as soon kill you than kiss you if she saw you steppin' out." Sully continues as the three crouch behind the broken barrier.

(Y/N) looks over to see Sully standing behind a table that was covered in papers and books as a cigar hung droopily at the edge of his mouth. He looked well, not at all the dead body she could see every time she closed her eyes.

"Just a wee bit of a thing. She couldn't have been much more than four-eleven." Nate shakes his head, remembering hearing this story. "They called her the 'spinner' because she -"

He's cut off by Navarro's mercenary, who's patience had worn thin. "Will you shut up, old man. You told us that one a dozen times already."

Looking closer, (Y/N) studies the man who just talked stood with his foot on the chair, another one sitting, both facing Sully in case he tried anything.

"Oh yeah, right. 'Course I did." Sully says, chuckling. "Memory's not what it used to be."

"What the hell's taking you so long, anyway?" The one sitting questions.

"Well, maybe you haven't noticed, but most of these books are half-rotten. And written in Spanish."

"Yeah, well hurry it up. The boss is waiting on you." He orders and (Y/N) glances at Nate, silently asking what their next move was, but not making a sound.

The guy with his foot on the chair looks in their direction, and they're not quick to move as he spots them: "hey, up there!" He warns and they're thrown into another fight.

---

(Y/N) drops down onto ground level, being the first to walk to where Sully hides under the table.

"Ah, man. It's about time you showed up." He groans, standing back up. Nate and Elena join her and (Y/N) moves forward, but Nate grabs her wrist, knowing her all too well.

"Well, you're looking mighty fine for a corpse." She spits and Sully gives her a look, but instead spots Elena and ignores the other woman's statement. "So you bought the girl after all, huh?"

"The girl?" Elena repeats, glaring at Sully.

"Hey, if it wasn't for her, you wouldn't be getting rescued right now." Nate tells him, awfully quick to defend her.

"If this is a rescue." Elena hums and (Y/N) raises an eyebrow at her, Sully crossing his arms. "What the hell does that mean?" He asks her.

"You gotta admit, Sully. This all looks a little bit shady." Nate confesses, shrugging his shoulders as he scoffs at him. "I mean you tipping those guys off." Nate starts the list.

"And miraculously showing up alive." Elena carries it on.

"Now wait a goddamn minute." Sully says, holding up his hands in frustration of being accused. "Roman had a contract out on me, I needed to buy some time."

(Y/N) turns on him and he shrugs. "All right, stupid mistake. I didn't realise they'd try and track us." He admits.

"Sully, we would've been headed home with the treasure by now if you had just for once kept your mouth shut." She reminds him, her voice raised.