Family Feuds

~ a few months later ~

Maria P.O.V

Vlad, the kids & I had finally returned from the wedding. My family wished that we could have stayed longer but it would have raised suspicions. Robin missed Vladdy dearly as he constantly called the palace. He promised to visit once we got home which Rob was excited for. Ingrid loved the attention & missed being pampered. I knew that all she wanted was her father's respect. However, he was so stuck on the old ways that he wouldn't show it.

When we got home, we only had a night to ourselves before the Branaghs visited. Chloe & Robin played with Vladdy while Ingrid toyed with the twins. We were left with the parents in the parlour. I played nice as I pinched Vlad to remain polite. The two of them congratulated us & asked for details. I told them an extremely watered down version of the truth, excluding the ceremonies. That filled our entire conversation which ended a few hours before sundown. Chloe helped me get them out of the castle before dark.

"The least they could have done was stay for dinner." Vlad joked

"I don't think they're your taste." I replied which made him laugh, "Besides, they're the parents of Vladdy's only friends. Wouldn't want to break your heirs heart now."

"Thanks mum." Vladdy confusingly said while Ingrid laughed at him

"Very well. The peasants will survive for now." Vlad assured me

"Thank you for not eating our neighbours." I replied before giving him a small bop on the nose. The kids tried to leave the hall but I quickly caught them. "Don't even try to scurry out. We have your latin & history lessons now."

"Go on & listen to your mother." Vlad ordered as I lovingly ruffled their heads

The kids listened well & were excited to learn the language. Ingrid was catching on quicker than Vladdy. She made sure to silently rub it in his face. I scolded her for it when it became excessive. Vladdy's strong suit was the history but both of them were excellent. Ingrid only stumbled a few times on the early portions: prior to my father unifying us. After an two hours, I called it a day since an hour on each topic was plenty. I rewarded them with some sweets after dinner.

The next morning, I was returning to the school. I felt nervous about going back now that the truth was out. I hoped that Eric wouldn't get to crazy with the slaying. However, he had been obsessed with the family business since childhood. I knew that I was going to have to face that headache at some point. It would be better to face it now than later when tensions got worse.

I was enjoying Vlads embrace in our bed. During the work week, it was better for us to sleep in the bed. I wouldn't disrupt him by crawling out of the coffin. The massive bed gave me plenty of room to sneak out. For now, I wanted to savour his arms around my waist.

"Must you go to that blasted school." Vlad grumbled as he nuzzled my neck

"Yes, darling. It would be suspicious for me to suddenly drop everything for you. A young thing being locked away in a castle by a handsome count." I reminded him before rolling to face him. "Besides, we still need some eyes on Eric. The kids can only do so much."

"Ugh, you have a small point. I wish that you would let us finish things." Vlad complained

"Nope. I'm not having my family fight each other. Eric has to listen to me. I'm still his aunt & the matriarch of the family." I countered as I straddled him, "Can you please behave? I promise that I'll reward you."

"Thankfully, you always deliver on your word. I won't bother him unless he provokes me." Vlad swore which was the best that I'd get

"Thank you so much. I love you." I replied before giving him a deep kiss