Chapter Nineteen

Percy wiped a sheen of sweat from his forehead. The first task was running laps.

The idea was he would complete a task and then be given a certain amount of time to recover depending on the task. After all, they needed accurate results so they couldn't just put him through trial after trial after trial. Percy wasn't about to tell them that all they had to do was give him a bottle of water and he'd be fine.

Something told him he'd be here for a while.

After running laps until he couldn't stand, Percy was allowed a 15 minute break and was given a water bottle.

Once time was up they took him to another section. This one had targets that were obviously for archery. Percy cringed as he recalled his archery skills. They hadn't improved at all since his last attempt, as he couldn't exactly practice underwater. Well, Poseidon's Palace did have an enchanted room that had no water, but Percy had avoided that at all costs.

So he was still no good.

There were no words exchanged and Percy nervously took the bow he was handed by Clint Barton.

Percy could vaguely recall how to hold a bow from his lessons at Camp Half-Blood and that was it. When he aimed and released the arrow whizzed through the air before halting with a 'thunk'.

"How the hell do you managed to hit the target behind you?" Tony exclaimed as he entered the range, examining Percy's arrow in the target.

"Each to their own." Clint muttered, surprised. "Where were you aiming?"

"Straight ahead." Percy mumbled sheepishly. The two Avengers gaped at him.

Clint sighed and just left.

Tony clapped his hands together. "Next trial!" He said, already moving on.

And that was that.

"Weapons. If you're going to be a member of the Avengers, weapons are more than likely needed. Unless you turn into a giant green rage monster, or are a scary ass woman who can take you out in two seconds." Tony waved a hand over a table of weapons during his commentary.

"I already have a weapon." Percy stated.

"You do? Where?"

Percy pulled out a ballpoint pen and placed it calmly on the table.

"That- that is a pen." Tony deadpanned. "Unless the ink is poisonous and kills people by drawing on them."

Percy blinked. "No. It's a sword." It was too entertaining to transform Riptide just yet. He had to screw with the Avengers some time or another.

"I understand the pen is mightier than the sword saying, but that is not a sword." Tony objected. He refused to believe that that pen was dangerous.

"It's actually very effective." Percy tried to contain his grin and keep a straight face.

"Bullshit." Tony snatched up the pen, peering closer at it. "Does it like, fire a projectile out the tip or something?"

"No. I told you already. It's a sword." Percy said, his voice steady, unlike Tony's, whose voice rose with his frustration.

"It is not a sword!"

"Oh but it is."

"It is not!"

Percy decided he should reveal it now, and pulled the pen out of Tony's grasp, uncapping it. The billionaire's mouth fell agape as the pen became a sword, Riptide's final form.

"I'm pretty sure it's a sword." Percy said, casually swinging it around. He hadn't used his trusty sword in a while.

"How- but- okay explain to me how that doesn't break the laws of physics."

Percy shrugged. He had no idea how it worked either. Just that it did and it was useful.

"And you're positive your father isn't a weapons manufacturer."

"Well I mean..." Percy trailed off. There were the Cyclops Forges. Did that kind of thing count? "Kind of? That's classified."

Tony sighed, giving up in a similar fashion to the archery trial not five minutes ago.

"Can you at least use it?"

"Yeup."

"Oi, Thor. Swords are used where you're from, fight Perseus here." Tony hollered to a camera in the corner. Over the speaking system Thor's voice crackled around the room.

"Incase you failed to notice, Stark, my weapon is a hammer, something that is not overly compatible with a sword of all things."

Suddenly Natasha's voice took over. "I'll fight him."

Tony whistled lowly, "you're going down Princey." Percy scowled at him.

"I assure you, I'm not as weak as you think."

"Sure thing Cookie Muncher."

Percy whacked the billionaire upside the head with no regrets.

~~~~

Funny how these things work out... I'm in a Timezone different to the majority of you readers, thus when I update while I'm awake (well, normal hours for normal people anyways) you guys are all sleeping. When I go to sleep and wake up I always come back to 100+ notifications to read through during breakfast 😂.

Now, I have a drama evaluation to finish that was due two days ago...

Also I should really stop watching/reading horror related things before bed...

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama