11: Max

A twenty foot gap.

My ass jumped a twenty foot gap from the hospital to the hotel roof.

My feet hit the roof and I turned around to look at the gap. I was sure that I was going to fall to my death, but something pushed me forward. On to this damn hotel roof.

Ashley.

My feet took me towards the roof door. Pulling on the handle, there was a snag. A chain was keeping me from opening the door completely.

If I could jump a gap and break my leather bonds...

Focusing, I gripped the handle and pulled. With enough room to put my fingers in the crack, I ripped the door open. The chain hit the floor and I slipped inside, closing the door behind me. I tried to put the chain back so it would kind of look okay. It didn't work.

I went down a few flights of stairs, stopping whenever I heard a noise. Everyone should be asleep, however. The only people awake would be the guards out at the borders.

Hitting the second floor, I opened the hallway and peaked my head out. All the doors were shut and there wasn't a noise coming from any of them. I tiptoed down the hall to get to the room Ashley and I stayed in. Slowly, my hand turned the knob and I slipped inside.

A soft growl came from the room, which was lit softly by a lamp by the bed. There was Ashely, laying under the covers and hugging the penguin stuffed animal to her chest. I looked down to the floor to see a black blob waddling up towards me, which was most likely where the growl came from

It was a little black lab puppy, no more than a year old. I bent down and stretched a hand out. She sniffed my fingers before licking my hand, wagging her thin tail.

Laughing softly, I picked her up and held her as she wiggled in my arms, whining and licking my face. I laughed and patted her head.

"Max?" Ashley's voice came from the bed in a soft, shocked tone.

I looked up and she was sitting up in bed, staring at me with wide eyes. It was almost comical to see her in her disheveled stage of wrinkled pajamas and a messy bun, wisps of hair framing her face.

"When did we get a puppy?" Was all I asked, holding up the pup.

Ashley pushed back the covers and got out of bed, taking a cautious step towards me, "Max. Is that you? You you?"

"Me me." I nodded, setting the puppy on the bed before looking down at myself. In the soft light, my skin looked completely normal. No veins or anything. "Surprisingly."

She took a few more steps towards me, still a little cautious. Her hand went up to my cheek as she looked in to my eyes. Dark eyes that looked glossy from sleep and a little watery. A breath was sucked in through her lips as she wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her face in my chest. A sob racked her body as my arms went around her waist to pull her close. I stayed with her like that for a while, silently holding her as she cried.

She pulled back a bit to look at my face. I wiped the tears from her cheeks as she spoke, "How did you...How are you..."

All I could do was shake my head, "I don't know. Honestly. I just woke up and had to get to you..."

I held her face in my hands, feeling a wave of guilt, "The night I turned...I almost- I could've-"

"You didn't." Ashley shook her head, putting a hand over mine, "You stopped yourself."

"I never want to hurt you." I told her, sternly. "If I ever do-"

She stopped me from talking by connecting her lips to mine. It was real. Her lips against mine. This was real. I knew it. She smelled like my body wash, but I still smelt her. Her scent pushed through everything else. It was intoxicating.