17: Max

Ashley's hand held on to mine tightly as the two of us walked towards the border. The last time I was at this border was when I tried my best to save that man form the horde of zombies and he gave me the note before he croaked. Now, I'm here to be bait towards a group of men that I haven't even met, but I know I hate already.

Honestly, they sound like assholes.

"There she is!" Thor exclaimed as we came towards them. He held his arms out in a grand gesture as if I was an aristocrat entering his home for the first time, "Woman of the hour! Are you ready for the debriefing?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." I shrugged, which made Ashley squeeze my hand slightly.

"Alright," Thor whistled loudly to gather the attention of the rest, "Listen up! We've got three hours until those asshats said they would show up again. Let's go ahead and set up our positions just in case they try to pay an early visit. Group Iron Man will set up on the west side of the street and group Captain America will be at the East. Strange and Vision will be on the west rooftops. Spidey and Bucky to the east. The Guardians will stay here inside the border at different points to protect us from any ambush attempts. Black Widow," He pointed to me, "You will be in the center of the street approximately fifty yards from the border. Any questions?"

I couldn't help myself from raising my hand, "Uh, yeah, just one; why are we all marvel characters?"

"Because Marvel characters are a lot more fun to say." Hulk said, shouldering a semi automatic, "And it's the superior universe of superheros."

Being more of a DC girl, I wanted to disagree. However, I didn't want to argue with a man that was holding an AR-15. So I let it slide for now, but I had to remind myself to have a nice talk with him later.

"Any other questions?" Thor asked with a smile. When met with silence, he nodded, "Alright then. Iron, Cap, Strange, and Vision can head out with Hawkeye and Hulk. Guardians, get to your spots on the perimeter."

Groups of people spread out from each other to move out. Steve broke from the crowd to come up to Ashley and I. He stood in front of us for a moment, not saying anything. Then, he pulled us both into a hug. I wrapped one of my arms around him and the other around Ashley. We held each other in our embrace for a moment.

"We've been through a lot in the passed few weeks." Steve said softly, "Who's to say we can't get through this as well?"

"It'll be alright." I nodded, "I promise."

We pulled away from each other and I saw tears in Ashley's eyes. Raising my hand, I wiped the tears from her face and had her look at me.

"I promise." I nodded to her with a smile.

She smiled and threw her arms around my neck, pressing her lips against mine. Kissing her back, I felt and tasted the salty tears that fell down her cheeks. I rose a hand to cup her cheek as we pulled away. Stroking her cheek with my thumb, I looked at her watery eyes. They were filled with dread and a hint of goodbye, but I couldn't think about that right now. This wasn't a goodbye kiss. This was a good luck kiss.

And good luck will come.

"Corzak!" Hawkeye shouted, waving Steve over to the west side of the building.

"I'll see you guys after all of this." Steve reached out to give our hands one last squeeze before jogging over to the west buildings.

I looked back to Ashley and smiled softly, "I love you."

"I love you." Ashley smiled back.

"I hate to break this up." Thor said softly from my right, making me turn to him. In his hands was rope, the kind that looks like it could give me rope burn just from looking at it.