33: Steve

My eyes stayed on Amelia's unconscious body. Grace gave her enough sedative to put her into a small coma. Soft growls came from her as her chest rose and fell rhythmically. After seeing her in full-fledged rabid mode, I've had this feeling of dread. I thought we would have more time together. I thought we had more time before turned. Now, we're at the mercy of the hopeful cure Grace has constructed.

I trust her.

Even with the current betrayal. Thor and Hawkeye were the first friendly people we met during this disaster. Blake, Andrew, and Chase were a bust, but at least we knew they were asshats day one. Meeting the men and seeing their dedication to this place gave me hope in this fucked up world. Seeing Hawkeye bleed out on the roof and knowing Thor took Max broke something in me. I'm not proud of it.

"Steve." Ron's voice came from behind me. 

I turned in my chair. Ron had changed into a t shirt and jeans. He looked like the man I used to drink beer with at fourth of July cookouts.

"Ron." I held a hand out. He just looked at it for a moment before taking my hand. Ron squeezed it softly before releasing.

"She's okay." Ron pointed to Amelia. "I can hear her thoughts. She's afraid, but surviving. She's not lost."

I nodded with a small smile, "Thank you, Ron. I appreciate it."

Ron smiled awkwardly. The corners of his mouth twitched up slightly, but he kept his lips shut. It was as if he didn't remember how to smile, or it made him extremely uncomfortable.

"Any word from Grace?" I asked him.

"They're almost there." He said. "It should be another hour."

Another hour. My eyes went to Amelia again. Her hand twitched, moving against the leather straps. 

"I'm going to go find Ash." I said, standing up.

"I'll be here." Ron nodded to me reassuringly.

Giving him a thankful smile, I made my way out to the hallway. Ashley was a ways away, sitting at a bench near a window. Her chin was resting on the back of the bench and her eyes were to the tree tops out the window. It was a window facing the way Max disappeared off to. I walked over to stand behind her. I could barely see her reflection as the sky started to darker. Tears glistened on her cheeks, but her eyes were hard and fixed on the horizon.

"I'm going to kill that bastard." Ashley said softly. "I never fucking liked him. I never trusted him. He was too nice. I hate men."

"I won't take that personally." I laughed softly and put my knees on the bench to sit next to her. "But, yes, I hate him too. I trusted him too willingly because he was a strong military figure to look up to."

Ashley turned her head as she wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "What can ya do? This world is fucked up."

"I don't know how to save it." Ashley shook her head. "It's a matter of time before the barriers drop or the infected find a way through. Who knows what the government will do."

"Abso-fucking-lutely nothing." I sighed and put my chin on my hand. My eyes went to the trees.

Max was out there somewhere. Thor was out there somewhere. Grimes. They have her and they'll pay for it. Everything they've done.

The elevator dinged and Grace stepped out. In her hand was a vial of milky liquid. She almost took off down the hallway, but stopped immediately when she saw us.

"I think I have one." Grace held up the vial. "Based on previous theories, I created a saline mix with the venom found in Max's blood. That drive Hawkeye gave us has partial plans of Grimes' genetics work. It proved me right. Now, we just need to test."