20: Steve

Bodies of zombies scattered the pavement around the border. People were making sure all of them were definitely dead before picking up the bodies and dragged them off a bit farther from the border. No one from our group were hurt in the horde except for a few men that were in the gas station. 

That still confused me. Nathan's men all went rabid, but Nathan just strolled off with Max. He grabbed her and chugged along in his little Bug to God knows where. We ran to the bridge. trying to spot him after we took care of the horde, but he was gone. There was no sign of him or Max. We let our guard down and stepped on a goddamn landmine.

Ashley stood at the border next to me, staring at the street as if she was looking for Max to show back up. She hadn't said a word since Max was taken, only helped with the cleanup and make sure everyone was okay. Her hands were shoved deep into the pockets of her jacket, but I could tell that they were in tight fists.

"Ash." I tried to get her attention, which only caused her respond in a soft grunt. Deciding to keep going, I sighed before speaking, "Hey, are you alright?"

"I'm fine." She responded. Definitely did not sound fine, but okay.

"You sure?" I asked.

Nodding, she hummed in affirmation. Turning, she watched as people dragged off the last few bodies of the dead. There was this stone behind her eyes that I did not enjoy. It reminded me of the old days in high school when she kind of hated us. 

I felt like this attitude was towards me, but I wasn't sure how to interact.

The fact that she just watched as the bodies were set on fire didn't exactly help. Fire reflected in her eyes and I was honestly terrified. 

"Alright!" Thor exclaimed, coming up behind us. He hooked his radio back on his belt, "I got someone to bring Grace and the computer so that we can pick up Max's signal and see where the hell she is."

"How long is the range?" I asked him. 

Thor shrugged slightly, "It's pretty large thankfully. Last time I used this thing, the signal went as far as two states over. We'll be alright."

"Will she?" Ashley asked softly.

Raising an eyebrow, Thor looked at her in slight surprise. Clearing his throat, he responded, "We know that she is valuable to him. Nothing bad will happen to her."

"How do you know?"

That was a good point. We don't know what exactly Grimes is planning. He could torture her or do experiments. We don't know what he wants from her besides trying to perfect his soldier idea. She is apparently the only subject that has had success within his experiment.

So, in short, we did not know for sure. We could only hope.

"Oh god." Thor breathed out, looking behind us in dread.

I turned around to see Grace storming our way. In one of her hands was the tablet Thor needed and the other held a pistol. That pistol was most likely for the off-chance that another horde may attack us, but I definitely did not want her to point that near me. Grace marched right up to Thor as Ashley and I took large steps back.

"Here is your damn monitor." Grace shoved the tablet into Thor's hands, "Now, find my fucking daughter."

Thor's mouth opened slightly to say something, but he thought against it and started up the tablet. I wouldn't try to talk back to Grace either. Especially with that gun in her hand.

"Let's see..." Thor muttered softly as his finger swiped at the screen. His eyes scanned the screen for a moment before his eyes lit up, "Aha! Here we go!"