35: Ashley

"No fucking way in hell." I said to Steve. Standing outside the the hum-v, I watched as Chase smiled back at me. Andrew sat next to him, hunched over and not looking at me.

I was in my room, getting ready to go. I was calming myself and reigning in my emotions about all of this. With Max being taken and the unknown of this situation, I need to keep my head. I need to figure things out. It's real fucking hard when these two jackasses are blocking my view.

Steve sighed as he put his shoulder to the side of the vehicle, "Ash, please. We're gonna need people to go with us."

"We just want to help." Chase said to me.

I pointed a finger at him. "No. No, you don't. You have done nothing but criticize Max and question her life ever since coming here. I understand that Blake's death did a number on you, but that is not an excuse. And you." My finger went to Andrew. "You're gutless. A traitor of sorts. You'd rather save your own hide than fight for the group. Why should I trust either of them?"

"Because we're all you got." Andrew said quietly, still not looking at me.

Our group was small. Everyone else we knew was either prepping the Homestead for another attack, or tending to the wounded. The six of us were Max's only hope. At least they would be outnumbered.

"Whatever." I said and climbed in, keeping distance between me and the two.

Steve climbed in as well and scooted over so that he was between Chase and I. At least he was willing to offer some kind of barrier. It would be for Chase's benefit.

"Now we just need Ron." Steve said, looking outside.

Andrew looked over. "Ron. As in Max's dad? The infected one?"

"Yeah!" I said gleefully. "Got a problem with that?"

He quieted down. Andrew's eyes went to Chase for a moment before going back to the floor of the vehicle.

Right on queue, Ron walked up to us. He gave me a half-smile before shutting the doors. The passenger door to the front opened and he hopped in next to Hulk. Hulk, I trusted. I felt like I could compared to the other two.

"Heading out." Hulk called back to us. 

The hum-V whirred softly as it started up. I saw the parking lot change into the barriers of a highway. Soon, it changed into trees. Hulk was really hitting the gas on this. I appreciated it. At least we wouldn't have to worry about other cars on the road.

"How long will it take to get there?" Steve shouted over the humming.

"Maybe thirty minutes?" Hulk responded, checking his GPS. It glitched every so often as we hit bumps in the road.

Don't know if their potholes or bodies, so I was glad I was in the back seat.

"I know it's not that far from here." Hulk went on. "Grimes took Thor there at some point and he gave us a detailed run-down on the security, which is zero. However, Grimes has a shit ton of infects locked up in cages. Apparently he has some kind of control room that opens the doors, so we'll have to be careful about that."

"But why there?" I asked. "What all does he have there?"

"There used to be a team of scientists." Ron chimed in. His voice was barely at speaking volume, yet it could be easily heard around the cab. "Before all of this happened, they would experiment. I know he still had a task force at the college to capture the infected, but I don't know where they went, honestly. Everyone dispersed after the crack down at the college."

"So we could be walking into a nest of those things?" Chase asked.

Ron turned his head to give Chase a side-eye, "Yes. We could. We could also save all of them."