13: Ashley

"Absolutely fucking not!" I yelled at Steve, standing from the bed to pace the room. Crossing my arms, I spun around to face him, "How could you even suggest it?"

"Do you have a better plan?" Steve asked me, pointing towards Max. "If we use Max as bait then we lure Nathan and his men in to a position to ambush."

"Then what?" Max asked as she sat her elbows on her knees, "We kill them?"

Steve shook his head before responding, "We take them hostage and negotiate."

That definitely sounded like a great idea. Negotiations hardly ever end well. These guys seemed like they would shoot either us or Max on sight if they smelled something wrong.

"And if things go wrong?" I asked, "And if they decide to take Max hostage or kill her?"

"They won't kill Max. She's too important to Grimes. If they kill her, they will most likely be killed as well." He said as if the fact was obvious, "And since when have my ideas ever gone wrong?"

That made Max snort loudly. I glanced at her and she had this amused look in her eyes as she lifted her head to smile at him. How she would be able to laugh at a time like this blew my mind.

"Eighth grade dance." She said to him with a smirk.

Ah the Eighth grade dance. Steve had a great idea to do a backflip off the stage and onto the dance floor. However the outcome consisted of his head dunked in the punch bowl and his foot stuck in one of the drums. Honestly, I still have no idea how he did it.

"We don't talk about the dance." Steve snapped as Max started laughing.

"That was a fail, Steve." I had to admit.

He only sighed and continued, "This won't end up like the dance. For many obvious reasons, but also because we've got army dudes. They know how to do this shit."

Admittedly, that was true. Thor and Hawkeye seem to know what they're doing. At least most of the time. And on the off chance that we do catch Nathan and his men by surprise, that would be in our favor. We could capture them easily. There was still a chance that things could go wrong, however. That I could lose Max or someone else will get killed. They might not want to go quietly.

I shook my head and sighed, "I still don't like this."

"You don't have to." Max said, catching me by surprise.

My head went towards her, "Excuse me?"

"Ash, this isn't your decision." She told me, shrugging her shoulders, "It's mine. And right now I don't see a better plan than just fighting head one and honestly that sounds like suicide. If we bring up the idea to Thor and he agrees, then we're doing it."

She was actually agreeing with this. I should've seen it coming since she agrees with every idiotic plan Steve conjures up.

"You can't honestly think this'll work." I countered.

Max stood to face me. Keeping her eyes on me, she addressed Steve, "Will you leave Ash and I alone for a moment?"

Looking between the both of us quickly, Steve nodded and headed towards the door. As he opened the door, he turned back to us before saying, "I'm gonna go ahead and get ready. I'll meet you guys in the lobby."

With that, he shut the door behind him to leave Max and I alone. She stood there in front of me, staring at me quietly for a few minutes. Finally, she took a step forward and broke the silence.

"What's wrong?" She asked me.

Had she honestly not figured it out yet?

"I'm fine with the whole fighting next to everyone thing, but putting yourself out as bait?" I scoffed, my eyes going towards the ceiling, "That's insane. That puts an even bigger target on your back. Makes you more vulnerable."