27: Max

Everything Grimes said, made it hard for me to believe him. However, what else can we do? Grasp for straws for whatever may be there? My mother has been doing that for too long and now we have more information than we could ever imagine.

Hopefully it's not too late.

There were gunshots and yelling coming from outside. Just listening and not being out there to help made my skin crawl. I shifted against the bed, trying to calm my nerves. There was a rumble in my chest, whatever was in me was trying to get out and I couldn't let it happen.

Not in front of Ashley, but maybe for Grimes.

Just to rip his head off.

There was another rumble and I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Max?" Ashley said softly, sitting  on my bed and taking my hand, "Are you alright?"

I opened my eyes and looked to her with a smile, "Yes. I'm fine."

"You don't need to lie to us, Maxie." Grimes piped up, "We can tell when you're not feeling yourself."

"Shut up!" I snapped, cutting my eyes to you, "Don't make us get the duct tape."

Grimes mimed zipping his mouth shut and shrugged his shoulders.

He may be right, but he can fuck off. I don't need him with his smart-ass mouth to tell me what I do and don't feel like. It felt just like it did when he was in my head and it didn't feel well with my stomach. Poking around in my head and using my memories and friends against me was low, even for a scumbag like him.

He didn't deserve to know my feelings after he forcibly removed them the first time.

There was a scream and more gunshots. Ashley stood and went to the window, looking out. Worry creased her brow and her lips were tight.

"There's so many of them." Ashley whispered softly. Her head turned to Grimes, a scowl forming on her face, "What did you do. This is your doing."

Grimes mimed upzipping his lips as he raised an eyebrow, "I what?"

"The zombies outside. The car blowing up." Ashley approached him, "You arranged this. How?"

That only caused Grimes to laugh, "You really think that I could conjour up something like this?"

"Yes." Ashley and I both said in unison.

"Okay, I guess you got me there." Grimes nodded, "I am a slippy snake, I admit. However, it isn't me." His eyes locked with mine as he quirked an eyebrow, "It's you, Max."

I blinked for a second, staring at him, "No. No, you're bullshitting me. How can I be doing this?"

"You're basically the queenbee of the hive, sweetheart." Grimes shrugged, "I injected you with the serum when you were back at my lab. A new experiment I'm working on to see if these things can be controlled by a central body, AKA you."

He was saying all of this so casually that I found it hard to believe him. But, thinking more, I remembered being injected with something when she arrived to his lab. Ever since then, she has felt weird. Never felt like she was alone.

"That's why you told us everything. Gave my mom the flashdrive." I said, "You don't think they'll survive."

"You will survive." Grimes pointed out, "And me, of course. I added my DNA so that they won't harm me and those with your DNA won't be harmed. Your dad, I don't exactly care for, but your mother will be fine. A good thing too, I don't want a genius like that to go to waste."