CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Bettany's Home. Day. Joe greeted her at the door with a smile. Evelyn put her hand on top of his arm as they walked like a new wed couple walking on the aisle.

He told her just him, the maids, the gardeners, the driver, blah blah and Robert are left behind. Amelia and her husband had a business outside the town.

The couple stood below the huge chandelier. "There's someone you need to know who is also working here with us".

"Another maid?"

"No. He was Robert's personal nurse. He will explain everything you need to know while he's not here for Robert".

Evelyn nods understanding. They walked to another room where Robert's personal nurse had been waiting for her to show up. Joe led the way.

"This is where I lived you, Evie. He's been waiting for you". he slid the door open, as she entered he shut the door then walked.

Her lips stuttered for no reason, like she was about to be eaten alive. Her eyes looked around then spotted someone standing at the end of the corner. What she saw was, just back of Robert's personal nurse.

He then turned to her. "You must be, Evie. I am McDaniel. Robert's personal nurse and finally we've met".

"We are. I didn't know he had a personal nurse".

"Of course he does. I've been in charge of his health issues since.. you know. That. I was born in Australia, and the koala is my favorite pet".

"Exploring is my favorite job".

He said, smirking. "Then why the carers?" he asked. "Trying to do something new".

"I've been urged by my best friend who I love dearly to have this job".

She leaned closer to him, whispers.

"He is some kind of solidly built man with shaggy unkempt hair, he introduces himself as Robert. He tried to scare me by his threats and I'm not buying what people might expect from a man in a wheelchair, he speaks quite well, but he pushes people away".

McDaniel chuckled. Robert appears on view. McDaniel looked up at him. "How are you feeling?"

"What do you think?" as his eyes to Evelyn. "You're still here". he said in a sarcastic voice. "Though you won't, I am glad".

She ignored him. McDaniel turns the radio on for Robert then takes Evelyn back to the kitchen to the medicine cabinet.

"I know the sound is funny to hear but can you manage all of his health issues and mental health?"

"I don't understand". she blinked. "Do I have to handle drugs?" he nodded his head. "Seriously!"

"This tells you pretty much everything you need to know. I do most of the heavy lifting but there's a time table here to see what he has, when." said him. "I know you are nervous caring for another person's physical needs. This is your first time, am I right?"

She nodded, he spoke back. "Blood pressure meds to raise it in the morning when he gets up. Anti-spasm tablets, four times a day to control muscle spasms, tablets for nerve pain. Now, you can give him pain killers".

Her eyes over and over as he hands her a bottle of painkillers Robert needs in his life, slowly he takes the bottle out from his hand then gives him a fake smile she does.

Evelyn is overwhelmed by all the pills that Robert has to take but McDaniel reassures her that it's all written down and that he will be in every day at morning, lunch, and evening to take care of most of Robert's physical needs.

"If he asks so much that annoys you, just try to resist giving him sleeping pills. If possible because they tend to make him a little.. well, irritable like more irritable".