CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Day. The sun rises behind the train as it races between giant golden sand dunes. A tight little passenger compartment.

Dakota drums his fingers on the windowsill and stares at Lock-Nah, who sits across from him and stares right back.

"Are we there yet?"

"No".

"Are we there yet?"

"No".

"Are we there yet?"

"No".

"Are we there yet?"

Lock-Nah leaps up and slams a knife blade down between two of Dakota's fingers, missing them by a hair. Dakota just stares. "Perfect aim".

"What are you talking about?" Lock-Nah yanks the knife out. "I missed". Dakota's eyes widened. Lock-Nah starts picking his teeth with the blade. Dakota glares at him. "You're lucky you are the lord Imhotep son, if you wasn't I kill you!"

"How long have you been working with them?" asked Dakota. "With Baltus Hafez I mean, he's the curator, high priest. About that lady Meela.."

Lock-Nah eyeing him. "What about her?" Dakota smiles, he likes the conversation.

"That she likes Imhotep".

"Because she is crazy. Why are we talking about this? get it she is like your father. Basically she will do anything to have Imhotep".

Lock-Nah eyes on him. "As for you? Imhotep is just using you for that all, he wants the bracelet not you. He doesn't care if you are his son or not, after he gets what he wants.. you are useless to him".

Dakota smirking. "I have to go to the bathroom".

The bathroom door opens and Dakota looks into the most rancid, filthy, disgusting, windowless craphole imaginable.

He looks up at Lock-Nah, and in a very dainty voice says, "Where's the bidet?"

"HURRY UP!"

Lock-Nah crosses his arms and stares down at Dakota. Dakota stares right back up at him.

"I can't go when someone's watching".

Lock-Nah snarls, then steps out and slams the door. Dakota looks around, disgusted and dejected, then he looks down into the toilet.

"Alright. All this was a lie. So I show them how I make their life miserable".

He gingerly grabs the rusty chain and pulls. There is a loud flushing sound. And then Dakota's eyes widened.

The bottom of the toilet has opened and is spilling rinse water right onto the train tracks.

Dakota quickly grabs the rusty toilet and pulls, peeling it back to reveal a hole big enough for him to fit through.

The tracks whizz past.

Since yesterday Evelyn was not in her mood, knowing what will happen next. Her mind was empty; she didn't know what to think.

All she thought was Dakota, his life at the hand of the bracelet. What will Imhotep do to Dakota?

Could be Imhotep brainwashed Dakota's mind so he will forget about her and who his mother was to him. His own mother, afraid that will happen right now.

Promising herself Imhotep will not be doing that, he won't hurt his own son.

Ardeth studied her from afar, he stood up then stood beside her, trying to comfort her again.

"I want him back, Ardeth. I want him back in my arms''. she hug herself. "I just wanted him back, that's all. I don't care if our world has ended, as long as Dakota is with me in my arms. I could die peacefully".