Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang Vol02 Ch44

A splendidly decorated carriage, surrounded by guards, was on the road from the Yun Chang capital city to the borders. Messengers frequently entered the group to pass on news to the person inside the carriage.

Two of them were very bad.

The reports from the Senior Official Gui Changqing were an endless flow, one letter after the next. One of them had been Bai Pingting's disappearance from the capital and the second was about a string of people sent in the mountains who for some bizarre reason all caught rather baffling kinds of illnesses. Gui Changqing had employed almost all of his undercover workers to set all sorts of traps on the way from the capital to Bei Mo, but each and every one of them showed no result.

Bai Pingting and her maid passed each obstacle, not leaving any evidence behind. The dragonhead showed its movement but the body and tail had completely disappeared. The most recent letter suggested that they had finally been spotted. Originally they should've been quickly caught, but they had put in some weird medicine that drained all energy from the soldier's limbs. The men could only sit back and watch the two women slip away.

"That Bai Pingting." Yaotian read Gui Changqing's letter and went closer to the fireplace, watching its contents gradually turn to ash. She lowered her voice, "When will they be exposed?"

"Replying to Princess, everyone has been severely warned by the Senior Official. They are to play as bandits and never to leak out any word in front of Pingting." The messenger knelt down before Yaotian. "She shouldn't know they're our people."

"Difficult to say." Yaotian sighed faintly. "Even if she did, what could she do? She isn't harmed at all, nor does she have evidence. No one will believe her even if she says so. Oh well, go tell the Senior Official not to waste more effort on Bai Pingting. We have failed too many times. The skies do not approve of our actions either. Why force her to her wits' end now that they are already far away?"

The messenger respectfully replied, "I have remembered Princess' words and shall duly pass them onto the Senior Official."

"You can go."

Seeing that the messenger had disappeared beyond the curtain, Yaotian was left behind in the huge carriage. She sighed softly. The ornaments that dazzled brilliantly in the sunlight had been her favourite kind and been placed inside the carriage, evoking a dreamy atmosphere in that space. Yaotian, however, displayed no interest in them.

There were more bad news waiting for her.

After receiving Bai Pingting's letter, she had given it to a messenger to give to Gui Changqing. Yaotian had then ordered everyone to forget the various customs and rituals of a Princess before leaving the capital and urgently headed towards the borders. Rather than thinking of the innocent lives being wasted in the battle, the showdown of the better general between Chu Beijie and the Prince Consort was more important.

While Yaotian was still on the road, the two armies had already confronted each other.

The first confrontation was on the Yang Plains. Chu Beijie had forced back He Xia by twenty miles, resulting in many casualties amongst the Yun Chang army.

The second confrontation started on the Yang Plains. Its center had shifted to the east. As expected of a famous general like He Xia, he knew Chu Beijie was in a hurry to push forwards and cleverly avoided a direct clash, focusing his attacks on the right flank. They lured them to the dark forests. If Chu Beijie hadn't quickly uncovered his plan and sent a fast messenger to retreat, the right flank of the Dong Lin army would have long been annihilated. This forced Chu Beijie to be more vigilant. The Dong Lin army did not attack without plans from thereon.