Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang Vol02 Ch46

In the early morning, orange light filtered through the thick layers of clouds, causing a little haziness.

The sound of hooves shattered the tranquillity as it hurried on the snow-covered path.

Bada, bada, bada bump...

A horse came from afar and the military flag of emergencies had been placed on its back to ensure it was untampered on its journey.

"Open the door! Hurry, open the city gates! The Dong Lin army has withdrawn! The Dong Lin army has withdrawn!"

The messenger had his head raised as he yelled at the closed gates, excited joy hung in his words despite his fatigue.

The guards at the city gates strained their ears in disbelief. They peered down, asking incredulously, "What did you just say, Bro?"

"Hurry up and open the gates! I've got to report it to the Senior Official. Dong Lin has withdrawn!"

"The Dong Lin army has withdrawn! Dong Lin has withdrawn! The war is over!"

The heavy city gates emitted a deep rumbling sound as they slowly opened. The news of the Dong Lin army's withdrawal seemed to have acquired wings as it swept through the air of the capital of Yun Chang, sweeping the unease from everyone's heart.

"Senior Official, Senior Official! The army of Dong Lin has withdrawn!"

Although he had long mentally prepared for himself, the elderly and experienced Gui Changqing couldn't help abruptly sitting up from his bed. "Have they really withdrawn?"

"Yes, the Princess herself went to bargain with Chu Beijie, and soon after, the Dong Lin army withdrew." The messenger was kneeling as he clearly and simply reported the events. "My army has sent out a significant amount of spies to closely monitor the trends in the Dong Lin army's movement. There is nothing strange at all. They really are withdrawing."

Gui Changqing dressed in the clothes that his servants had brought forth while asking, "Where is the Princess and the Prince Consort?"

"The Princess and Prince Consort are currently on the way, leading the troops back to the capital."

"We must prepare a grand welcome." Gui Changqing turned back, his expression full of delight. "Go, get the Official of Public Events to come here immediately, as well as all those officials in charge of procurement, ceremonies and entertainment. Wait..." He thought for a while before continuing his ordering, "In this battle between Dong Lin and Yun Chang, there were still a number of sons of Yun Chang that were injured or killed. Bring the official of military affairs, so we may talk about pensions and such."

The manservant, who was to pass on the message hurriedly nodded, wrote them down, and turned to go.

Rumble rumble rumble!

A few rumbling, booming sounds came, shaking the dust from the corners of the roof. All of the people in the room were shocked by this and even Gui Changqing's expression changed. "What on earth has happened in the capital? Go check!"

Not long later, the manservant quickly returned from task. "Report to Senior Official, the news of the Dong Lin army's withdrawal has reached the capital. Everyone is awake and is drinking, singing and dancing on the streets. Firecrackers have been lit everywhere and the biggest firepowder shop in the capital has taken out the most precious, biggest firecracker of the capital. Those sounds just then were from that. Would Senior Official like to arrest them?"

Gui Changqing understood the moment he heard his words. He shook his head. "Arrest them for what reason? Who doesn't have sons or younger brothers in the army? Now that the war is over, the peasants are happy, meaning that our worries can finally be put to rest too." He then ordered, "Someone go and take out one thousand and two hundred silver coins to buy alcohol. Put it all out in the square at front of the Royal Residence so the peasants may take them freely."