Part 21

"You are a doctor, Khushi. You know the protocol and the ethics. How can you expect me or any other doctor to do this?" questioned Rachna, who was on a video call with Khushi, along with her husband Anurag.

"I know, Rachna, that this is wrong and unacceptable, but I cannot leave the chance which destiny gave to me, only a fool would do so. This is the key to my solace," answered a five-month pregnant Khushi, who had begun showing in an irrefutable manner.

"Have you given an open-minded thought to this, Khushi? Did you go through the possible consequences which can drastically affect your life, by either making it like you say or breaking you beyond repair?" asked Anurag affectionately in a calm and composed manner but he knew about the turbulent storms the brother in him was facing by seeing his sister-like Khushi stuck in a completely tangled situation.

"I did, Jijaji. And I think this is the best for everyone. Please convince Rachna, Jijaji, and Rachna, please, for my sake, fulfill my wish," pleaded Khushi, tiredness floating in her hazel orbs and her pale face struck a chord with the couple watching her.

"I think you should give her what she seeks, Rachna," advised Anurag, turning over to Rachna, who nodded thoughtfully at him.

"I will concede to your request, Khushi. But please take care of yourself and be happy, safe and peaceful," wished Rachna, sighing deeply as she fought with her conscience internally.

"You have just ensured that I will have all of them by accepting my request, Rachna. Thank you so much," replied Khushi, a sad smile dancing on her lips as she involuntarily caressed her bulged abdomen.

___________________________________________________________

"I cannot believe that you made me wait for four-months so see my unborn, Khoosi! It is really unfair. You got to see long time back," complained Arnav as he drove them to the radiology clinic as directed by Khushi, who was prevented from driving by an extremely concerned Arnav.

"You know that I had reasons, Arnav, it was not intentional," she answered with a slight smile stretching itself on her lips as Arnav looked at her flashed an understanding smile.

"Here we go. In a few minutes, I get to see my baby!" he exclaimed, his voice betraying his excitement and his amber eyes revealing his ecstasy for the same.

Khushi's smile extended further with his actions and just as she was about to get down from the car, she felt a push in her abdomen, which she could distinctly verify as the first kick from her baby.

"Arnav..." she whispered in a pleasant shock as her smile crept into her eyes which began twinkling with happiness.

"Yes, Khoosi?" said Arnav, stopping himself from descending and turning over to her.

"I think, I think I just felt a kick," she muttered, mentally prompting her child to kick once again to feel life coursing through her like never before.

"Really?" he asked, with an incredulous look plastered onto his face. Upon her nodding of affirmation, his hand seemed to get a life of its own as it moved towards her belly on its own accord but before it could actually touch her, he stopped himself.

Khushi saw his reflex action from the corner of her eye and the way he halted his action and could not help but let a familiar warmth seep through every cell of hers. She took his extended palm and placed it against her stomach herself, looking straight into his eyes, giving him permission.

The kick under their palms made them look southwards immediately with a hint of brine, signing the bliss and euphoria they were experiencing, in their eyes and looked up to face each other.

"Looks like my baby is as excited as me that I will finally get to see my princess," he chuckled, as he cupped her jaw and pressed a firm yet gentle kiss against her hair but unlike the past times, Khushi did not support his hand holding her with her own.

"We will have to go to the Geeta. She must be waiting for us," reminded Khushi as Arnav nodded at her with a smile and descended the car.

He rushed on his feet to help her follow his suite and gently guided her to the reception. He was thankful of the thoughtfulness of the architect who did not include stairs for the radiology clinic. Khushi took over when they reached the reception as there was no formal appointment being acquaintances with the doctor.

"Hello, I am Dr. Khushi Gupta. Geeta had told that she would take care of the formalities," she addressed the receptionist.

"Yes, Ma'am. Please follow me. Who would this gentleman here be?" asked the receptionist, pointing at Arnav as Khushi visibly gulped to answer the question and clenched her jaws unable to decide what she had to answer.

"Husband," answered Arnav, shocking her.

"Follow me, Ma'am and Sir," said the receptionist, speeding away in front of them to guide the way towards the cabin of Geeta.

"You didn't have to say that. I know it must be incredibly difficult for you to say that," she started, looking at the ground and the counter but not him. She had yearned to hear him address as her husband for twelve long years and the twisted manner in which it had come true, and the manner in which it was neither credible nor true, it felt tormenting for her.

"It must be equally difficult for you too, isn't it? Seeing someone whom you love so much, love another woman yet decide to give away everything to ensure his happiness? I heard from Rachna that you had given me the respect of a husband in your life and you proved it every second henceforth. It might not be correct and it might be wrong but I don't think something as pure as your love should be constrained by any boundaries. It is my tribute to your love," answered Arnav, dropping his hand in between her dainty and slightly shaking fingers as she forgot her surroundings, her situation and herself, finding concern and an alien feeling which her heart vaguely recognized to be similar to the one she harbored for him.

Their eyes met in tumultuous embrace of myriads of emotions; ecstasy, admiration, respect, concern, trust, understanding and love. But is the tantalizing brew the right concoction to bring them what they need the most- solace?

__________________________________

What do you think Khushi was discussing with Rachna and Anurag?