Part 32

"You don't have to worry about it, Chachiji. I can be my own lawyer if required and coming to my love, it is my love which made me come late to avoid seeing my love being of someone else but it is same love which made me come here to witness his happiness, which he never found with me. I hope that now since he has found his Khushi, he never loses his happiness and Khushi, make sure that you give him the peace and solace which I couldn't give him. And Chachiji, that is all my love asks from me," Rati's answer resonated in the entire hall as everyone's whispers dwindled into the pregnant silences that followed.

The silence soon turned awkward and excruciating as emotions rose sky high and their tolerance dropped down to the netherworld; the amalgamation of the emotions threatened their sanity and whatever little peace was left in their hearts.

"Let's disperse for lunch! It's a happy occasion, let us not taint these memories with any negative emotion for the couple!" announced Rachna, taking over the mic as she realized that the silence could soon turn devastating if not taken care of.

The crowd erupted into whispers and hushed talks once again as they began following the staff guiding them towards the lunch venue, leaving behind the newly-wedded couple, their families and their close friends.

"We will go along with the relatives or else it can result in damage beyond any control," Savitha sighed, as she signed to her husband to follow her. 

"We will accompany you, Savitha Ji. We will make sure that none of our relatives utter even a single word against Khushi Beta," assured Kalpana, throwing a glare towards Arnav as she followed the Guptas along with Arnav's father.

Sensing that the couple might want some time alone with each other, their friends began making excuses.

"Don't let this affect you too much, Khushi. I know that whatever happened was horrible and it is bound to affect you but please don't lose yourself into it. We know what you are and how everything was," assured Rachna, patting and rubbing in soothing circles on the back of Khushi's palm as Khushi gave her a blank look, quite complimenting the lack of clarity in her own mind.

"Take care of yourself and Khushi, Arnav. Don't let guilt overpower you so much that you end up doing something you would not want to," advised Vivek, following the stride of Rachna and going with the relatives so that they could douse some of the wildfire which had caught hold of everyone present.

It was then that they realized that Rati had brought a company for herself, whom Arnav vaguely recognized to be her friend - Ashok Singhal. Unlike all the times in the past, he did not feel a pang of jealousy trouble him or wave of frustration wash over him but instead he noted the deep sense of admiration, respect, concern and trust swirling in the man's eyes with a tint of pain and angst as he eyed at Rati's slightly shivering self.

The potent brew of emotions felt familiar and as wave of nostalgia hit him, he realized that he had witnessed the same aphrodisiac potion in Khushi's eyes for him and it dawned upon him that Ashok was bearer of scars bestowed by unrequited love like Khushi in the past.

"Thank you so much, Rati. Your support truly means a lot to me. I don't know how much effective you truly were but I just know that if you did not speak up today, it would have turned into a mess and would be remembered as one of the darkest days of my life. Thanks once again," said Khushi, walking upto Rati and smiling warmly at her, although she could not manage her usual heartwarming smile.

"Don't, Khushi. I did this for myself and for the sake of my love and sanity. Just no one has the right to take away someone's happiness on their day," replied Rati, pulling her present out of the designer bag that she was wearing.