Part 33

The time of Khushi's farewell was here. Although she had stayed away from her family for years on her own, it brought upon myriads of emotions as it marked the commencement of the biggest journey of their lives, which both the sides only hoped, to last forever.

Khushi's father was not satisfied with Arnav or his daughter's decision of marrying him. He knew that Arnav had come to the path leading to Khushi for the sake of revenge and continued on the same for the sake of wish-fulfillment. His realization, according to his father-in-law, was ignited by guilt rather than stringing of the heart and while his desperateness to unite with her was for the custody of the children and the need of her forgiveness was because he had turned into a father to a daughter, hence empathizing with her.

"I know, Uncle, that you do not hold me in high regard and in fact, you would have never chosen me for your daughter if it were in your hands but I assure you that I will try to give her as much as love and care as you have given her. I might have let her down once but that will be the only time throughout my life of its kind. I hope some day I will become your choice of son-in-law," he hoped, joining his hands in obeisance in front of his in-laws.

"We will see to it. I do hope that you won't break the little trust my Sona has vested onto you and agreed to marry you. Break her heart again and that'll be the last thing you'll do," he warned with an intensity which made a shiver run across Arnav's spine. Savitha put an arm over her husband's biceps to calm him down so as to not create a scene in front of the relatives who were already waiting for more content to gossip over.

Khushi was kept busy by Rachna and her other friends during the exchange and she came towards her parents who were standing near the car. Fresh tears filled in her eyes as she took both of them in her tight embrace. Her parents showered tender kisses of love and affection over their daughter who had grown up too fast for them.

"Everything will be fine, Sona. Don't worry. If you ever need something, just call us, no matter what the time is. We will always be available," assured her father, tucking her hair affectionately behind her ears as he wiped her tears away, while struggling to control his own.

It was Khushi's turn to wipe his tears as she struggled to crack a smile. It was indeed tough to swallow one's pain and smile in a hope to see the same reflect upon someone else but love gives the strength to accomplish every such feat.

"You don't worry, Papa. I'll be fine. You both take care and don't neglect your health. Take medicines on time and don't let Mumma watch too many supernatural shows, it's not good for her," she joked, hoping to bring a smile on her parents face but it only made them more sorrowful.

"Aunty, Uncle, she is already worked up. If you cry, who will give her strength?" interrupted Rachna, putting an arm around Savitha as Anurag took over Khushi's father,

"Do you want your princess to embark on a new journey on sad note? Come on, Uncle, you know Khushi, nothing can ever stop her so she will keep visiting you. And Arnav will make sure of it, isn't it, Arnav?"

"Of course, Anurag. She can come everyday if she wants but I will make sure she visits at least twice a week," vowed Arnav as Anurag smiled at him and nodded in approval as he looked at the worried parents.

"Happy Married Life, Beta. Hope you get every happiness of the world!" wished her mother lovingly.

"Love you, Sona!" said her father as Rachna asked Arnav to guide Khushi towards the car of it would turn into a tougher situation, considering the rough history and lack of trust between the parties.

Arnav slipped his palm behind hers as he draped his other arm over her shoulder and began guiding her towards the decorated car as Khushi sought solace from him by resting her head against his shoulder, controlling her sobs as alien feelings took over her. Indeed the brainwashing via the notion of paraaya-dhan and daan was taking its toll on the person who never bothered to believe it too.

After sad good-byes, when silence took over in the car, Arnav looked at their joined hands and began speaking,

"Relax, Khushi. I know it is very tough for you and it is very tough and almost impossible for me to imagine the same happening with Kuhu some day but just remember that I am always with you, no matter what, just like your parents would have stood beside you. You wouldn't have to give your parent's place to anyone, nor will you have to change yourself in anyway, just consider my family as an addition to yours, that is more than enough. I will take care of everything else and make sure to put in every effort to find your happiness."

Khushi looked at him with a mixture of admiration and apprehension. He knew that her fears were not unfounded and she was scared to trust him but he was determined to win her trust, after all, he had his whole lifetime ahead of him.

"And hopefully someday, you accept that my love for you is genuine and I am able to reinstate your trust on me and join the broken pieces of your love," he added with angst twanging in his voice as his eyes looked on with hope.

"Hopefully indeed," she replied, speaking for the first time to him since her outburst at the altar after Rati's departure.

___________________________________________________________________

"Aunty, is it really required now? I don't have any energy to even sit, forget indulge in these games as a part of rituals," complained Khushi, with a sullen face and strained voice. 

"Sometimes we just have to wear a facade and do things which we don't want to do, Beta, with a hope that it makes our future easier. If you refuse to complete these rituals, all the relatives outside will again find something to point a finger at you; they would say that you are wrong and hence you are scared of facing them. You are a strong woman, Khushi, don't let anyone think otherwise," said Swathi, cupping Khushi's cheeks affectionately with one hand as she brought in a glass of warm milk to her lips to improve her mood.

Khushi nodded thoughtfully and gulped the milk quickly as possible so that she can proceed with the rituals sooner and rest faster.

Irrespective of time and place, once Khushi had taken part in any competition, she had to put in her complete efforts and the ring game was no different. Her challenging spirit compelled Arnav to take the game seriously and legitimately try to win. Out of the three rounds, both had won one each and the last round was to be the deciding one.

"Khushi will win, I am sure!" cheered Vivek, hoping to lighten the atmosphere as the relatives and friends soon started taking sides. Their college mates and friends had taken Khushi's side knowing that the relatives would take Arnav's side and they could not afford to dampen Khushi's spirits on her own wedding day.

"Who says? Arnav will win!" cheered a cousin of Arnav's as the fight continued.

Finally when their hands came out, it was time for the friends to cheer since Khushi had landed her hands on the ring and was hence the winner.

"What is this, Bhai? You lost?" questioned the same cousin.

"So what if I lost the game, Subodh? I have won her hand and the one who already rules my heart has won the game so it is a win for me too," answered Arnav, smiling at Khushi who involuntarily blushed under the gaze and dramatic sighs accompanying his words.

________________________________________________

Please VOTE and COMMENT!