II. Intro

I woke up with the most agonizing headache. I rubbed my temple. It feels like my head could just pop any second. I thought back onto the dream I'd had. How odd. Usually I don't remember my dreams. They fade away as soon as I open my eyes leaving nothing behind, but this one I can remember in detail.

Bzz...

The muffled sound of my phone vibrating caught my attention. I picked it up to see 20 unread messages and 4 missed calls along with some Instagram notifications. Majority of the calls coming from my best friend, Rico. I called him back and he answered on the first ring.

"Bitch!" I pulled the phone away from my ear as he went off into a rant. "I've been calling you since this morning! Where the hell have you been?" I made a face. Since this morning? Isn't it morning? I looked over at my clock. 5:34PM. I made a face. Thank god it's the summer. "I was asleep. I normally don't even sleep for that long." He scoffed.

"Mm.. Nothing puts a girl to sleep like that but good dick. Trust me I know. What have you been up to Amara? Don't make me come over there," he joked. I laughed loudly.

"Please. I've been up to absolutely nothing. I've been sitting in this bed watching reruns of 90210 and eating ice cream." I glanced at the slightly open laptop at the edge of my bed.

He sighed. "Yeah I can actually see a pudge starting to develop." I furrowed my brows.

"See?" I spoke into the phone before feeling a tap on my shoulder. I jumped harshly almost breaking my neck. Rico laughed from behind me. How the hell did he even get in?

"You're such an idiot. How could you not hear me?" I rolled my eyes.

"Um I don't have super hearing like your overgrown ass." I pointed. Fun fact: Rico and half this town's population are "supernatural." At least that's what the 4% human population has grown to call them. Rico along with my family are werewolves. I, on the other hand, am normal.

"Let's do something fun today. Ever think about getting that thing tattooed?" He pointed to my birth mark. I cringed. Me and pain do not mix. My fear of needles is the only reason I haven't gotten any tattoos. I looked down at the dark birth mark on my shoulder. The reason for my grandmother calling me "The cursed one" of the family. It sat on my shoulder proudly in the shape of a hand looking as if someone had burned me.

"Nope. No can do." He fell out dramatically.

"But what is there to do?! I'm going to die of boredom if I don't have fun in this shitty town soon."

I scrolled onto a flyer. My eyes scanned the bold words in the header. 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰 𝐇𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐬 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥. Hmph. A carnival? In Shadow Hills?
"Uh there's a carnival open in town, I think." He sat up with a raised brow.

"A carnival?" I showed him the flyer. We both gave each other a look.  

"Exactly," I said. A carnival in Shadow Hills has to be a cover up for something because here nothing is ever what it seems. "Why do you think they've set up a carnival?" Rico scratched his stubbly cheek.

"If you ask me, I think it's because of the upcoming Blood Moon. This whole legend ordeal has Stickler ready to shit his pants." I snickered. The Blood Moon is this big event that has everyone on their toes. It's the first one in a hundred years. However it is not the moon itself that has everyone anxious, it's what follows it.

Rico grabbed my umbrella from the corner of my room and acted as if it was a cane. "Beware! Darkness is coming! Eat prunes! The blood moon will rise again and the darkness will strike!" He imitated Mayor Stickler. I threw my sock lazily while cackling. "He's effing ridiculous. Why would I trust someone that's over sixty and wears plaid?" He fluffed his hair in the mirror.