XVI: Neveah Pt. ll

☆

When I opened my eyes, I was back in the queen sized bed. I felt a dip in the mattress.

"Princess?" It was Edith. The girl frowned at the sight of the princess. Her eyes puffy and red from the non stop crying she'd been doing. "I have come to check on you. It has been days since you left your room." She turned away from the girl.

I have to see him. I have to let him know.

She sat up instantly and wiped her face. "I am better now. Thank you." The girl
smiled and bowed. When she finally left the room, Neveah jumped up and grabbed her cloak. She slipped on a pair of slippers and started out the door.

Right as she was about to leave, her stepmother appeared with her usual twisted smile. "Oh! Your awake. I thought you would've slept a little longer after that little stunt you pulled." She eyed Neveah's attire. "Where were you going?" Neveah lightly brushed past her and entered the hall.

"To the library." Her stepmother looked unconvinced but nodded.

"Well change of plans. You're coming with me. We have planning to do."

"What is it that you speak of stepmother?" The woman scoffed.

"The ball silly. Please tell me you haven't forgotten about your engagement ball." How had I forgotten? She followed her into the ball room.

"It must be extravagant. Nothing short of it. I will see to it that you look your absolute best. This will be your last ball after all." Neveah gulped.

"What do you think? Red or green? I'm feeling festive!" Her stepmother continued to rant on excitedly about the ball but all she could think about was Finn. His smile. His laugh. His skin. After spending hours talking about decorations and invitations, Neveah finally got to leave the castle.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

She knocked on the door but it opened with ease. Finn wasn't inside but one of the horses was missing. The woods. She lifted her dress and began to run through the many trees behind the castle. She called after him but faltered when she saw him sitting at the edge of a creek.

"Finn?" He didn't answer. Instead he threw the bottle that he'd been holding and watched it shatter against a tree. "Finn!" She grabbed his shoulder. His head fell back lazily.

"Oh princess. You'll have to excuse me. I'm a mess." He'd been crying. His eyes were red and his cheeks were stained from the tears.

"Finn. Why are you-" He pushed her hand away as she tried to cup his cheek.

"You'll make a beautiful bride." His words were barely a whisper. "He's a lucky guy." Tears immediately welled up in her eyes.

"Finn. I did not know of their plans. I do not love him!" She sat next to him. He laid against the tree lazily.

"I thought just for a second— That maybe, just maybe, you loved me..." he laughed as if he'd just told the joke of the century. "I am no one!" She shook her head.

"That is not true!"

"It is true and you know it Neveah!" She shut her eyes as the tears blurred her vision. "I have nothing to offer you. I can't buy you nice things or-"

"I don't care Finn. I want to be with you. Only you." She caressed his cheek with her thumb. "I just want you." He grabbed her hand softly. He didn't say anything else as he stared out onto the water. They sat in silence for what seemed like a lifetime. "Run away with me." He towards her with a mixture of emotions swirling inside his eyes.