XX: Mirror Mirror

I rung the bell tiredly. "Order for Nicole?" No one came forward to get the steaming cup of hot chocolate. I sighed. I've been working my ass off for the past six hours without a break. I had to take on Dannie's shift because she had a family emergency. She didn't go into much detail but she did sound very anxious on the phone. Whatever it is must be something big because the other faeries on the staff are missing also.

I turned around ready to pour the drink down the sink. "Wait." I turned to see a small girl with striking grey eyes. I smiled politely and handed her the drink. "You have perfect timing. I was just about to flush it," I chuckled. Deep down inside I wanted to slap her ass for wasting my time.

She snatched the drink from the counter and left without a thank you. Fuck you too then. I frowned and took out my phone to check the time. 7:10. Three more hours and I'm free. Of course they'd have me closing on my first day. Although, I just admit, this job is surprisingly easier than I'd anticipated. Greet the customer, take their order, and then send it to the kitchen. Easy enough.

Eugine appeared in the corner of my eye tapping his watch letting me know my shift was over. I mentally did a happy dance. Finally. I grabbed the cheese cake bites from the front pocket of my apron and hurried off. He gave me a small smile. "You're doing great! I didn't expect you to catch on this fast." I cheesed.

"Thank you. I'm surprised I haven't collapsed yet. I'm so freaking tired." He nodded understandingly. The vending machines buzzed quietly as we entered the break room. I took a seat at the table farthest from the door, not wanting to hear the noise coming from the café. Eugine sat next to me.

"You'll get used to it eventually. I um- I worked at a bar before I moved here and believe me... This is nothing." I hummed. A bar? I just can't imagine Eugine bartending.

I moaned as I bit into one of the cheesecake bites. What the hell is in these? Then a thought came to me. I looked over to Eugine. "Hey?" He hummed in response while looking down at his phone. "How come we're not allowed in the kitchen? Like ever? I haven't even seen the inside." The question grabbed his attention. He looked up with a thoughtful expression.

"Hm. I guess I never really pay much attention to that. I haven't seen the inside of it myself." During my training, I was told to just write an order down and place it in the window. There is never a reason to enter the kitchen, but it's just really strange how I've never seen anyone go in or out of there.

"Yeah like earlier I was trying to make conversation with one of the cooks through the little window and she totally ignored me. Like damn. If you don't want to talk, just say that," I joked. He eyed the desert. I lifted the bag. "You want one?" He shook his head. Thank God. I really don't like to share.

"And why are all the fae missing today? What's up with that?" I bit into another one. I felt my taste buds twerking. They just seem to get better and better with each bite. How is that possible? My stomach grumbled angrily. "Aw shit. I knew it was just too good to be true. I'll be right back." I hurried towards the restroom.

The lights flickered ominously giving off a scary movie vibe. "Chile let me hurry up and get out of here," I whispered to myself. I walked past the mirror and was just about to enter the stall when I noticed something. I turned around. I know I'm not tripping.

I grabbed the sink while leaning forward. My reflection stared back at me, mimicking my movements. Okay, maybe my eyes were just tripping then. I could've sworn when I first walked by, my reflection didn't move. I guess I was wrong then.

On the other hand, my hair is a couple shades from being completely blonde. I don't know what that color is but for now we'll call it onion yellow. I stuck my tongue out while laughing. My reflection did not laugh back. Instead the girl in the mirror raised her pointer finger and began tapping the mirror.

I backed away quickly feeling my back hit the cold, brick wall behind me. Her eyes were trained on me as she tapped the mirror slowly. A wicked smile fell upon her lips as the force of her taps increased. The mirror began to crack. I covered my ears while staring in shock.

"Stop." The mirror continued to crack. Pieces of glass fell into the sink. "Stop," I repeated. My desperate pleads seemed to amuse her. The flesh in the corners of her mouth split as her smile grew impossibly wider. Blood began running down her chin.

She tilted her head. "Stop?" I froze. The voice was not mine. But I knew exactly who it belonged to. I ran to the door and pulled on the door handle only for it to not open. No. Behind me the tapping had stopped. However, the thundering pace of my heart did not.

I found myself thinking of Elijah. Calling his name. Wishing he'd come save me. I turned around to see a black figure climbing out of the mirror, half of its body already successfully through. I held up my hand. "Stay away!" There was a pounding outside of the door. Elijah. He came!

"Amara?" It was Eugine.

"And we meet again..." it growled. It stretched its arms with a sigh, its bones cracking in the process. "It was quite uncomfortable in there," it said referring to the mirror. I held up my hand again.

"Don't take another step." Black slime fell from its limbs and hit the tile floor. Disgusting. The thing inched closer putting me in a corner. Okay, now would be a good time for my powers to make an appearance. I took a deep breath feeling the heat in the pit of my stomach. My powers.

A ray of light shot from the palm of my hand burning a perfect hole in the center of its chest. It roared loudly and flew back into a bathroom stall. I looked down at my hands surprised that'd even worked. However, the small celebration was short lived because the mark on my shoulder began to burn terribly. I screamed loudly while pulling down my top. My hand hovered over the mark as it burned into my skin. "W-What the fuck is-" The thing was no longer laying in the stall but back inside of the mirror as my reflection. I took deep breathes to calm down.

"What is happening?" My hands shook as I held them out in front of me. The door flew off its hinges and Eugine stood heaving in the entrance with glowing hands. My mouth flew open. His eyes were milky white void of an iris.

"Your hands... They're glowing." His eyes changed back.

"So are yours." I looked down to see that my hands were in fact still glowing. I hid them behind my back.

"You're a witch!" we both shouted in unison. I laughed. He waved his hand in dismissal.

"Not a witch." Hmph. I crossed my arms.

"Me neither."

"Liar. I saw your hands. That glow..." I raised my hands and waved them in front of his face.

"Glow? What glow?" I responded childishly. He gave me a straight face.

"I know what I saw but more importantly are you alright? I heard a voice and what's this stuff on the floor—"

"I'm fine. And it's a long story. Nothing that hasn't happened before." My answer seemed to surprise him.

"What do you mean?" I hurried out of the cramped bathroom not wanting to stand in it a minute longer.

"Just know that nothing is ever normal in Amaraland. Nothing." I looked down at the cheesecake bites I'd left on the table. "To the trash. Immediately." I almost shed a tear as I tossed the bag into the trashcan. I turned around and flinched seeing Eugine right in front of me. "You can't be sneaking up on my like that."

"Might be a bad time, but I mistakenly bought two tickets to a movie premiere tonight. Would you like to come? Maybe get your mind off things? I understand if you don't want to." Maybe this is what I need. A break from all this. Even if it's just for an hour and a few minutes.

"Sure. But nothing weird." I squinted my eyes. He raised his hands in surrender.

"Nothing weird."

              ──────⋅⋅⋅ ☆ ⋅⋅⋅──────