XlX: Old Friend

☆

𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐚𝐠𝐨..           
Elijah's Pov

"We have a problem."

As soon as my foot hit the welcome mat, my body was repelled and thrown a good ten feet away from the house. I landed on my feet with a scowl. "I see you've learned a new spell. Come out, I know you're there." The front door opened and she walked out with a sinister smile.

"Nothing new. Just a protection spell. Wards off anything evil." I stood up.

"Then how the hell are you inside?" She let out a cackle.

"Why are you here Elijah?" I stood on the other side of the force field directly in front of her. In the corner of my eye, the force field wavered. She's not strong enough. I fought the urge to smirk. She's weak. The force field must be sucking her dry. I changed the subject.

"All of this," I gestured. "To keep out little ol' me?" I poked the force field only for it to shock my finger. I hissed teasingly. "Seems like a bit much huh? Almost as if you're running from something." She sucked her teeth.

"I'm going to ask you again. Why are you here?" I stepped closer.

I'm here because you fucked up." She raised a hand over her cracked, red lips in fake shock. I scowled. Time hadn't been as kind to her as it had to others. All of her wrongs were catching up to her now.

"Me? Oh no. Impossible. I make no mistakes."

"Then why is it still around? Answer that." She tapped her chin innocently.

"How long ago was that again? Oh right. I don't remember. Plus I only did what you asked. If anything is wrong it is on your end-"

"Bullshit! You know exactly what I'm talking about." She laughed.

"What are you talking about Elijah? What century are we talking about again?" My nostrils flared.

"The century where you opened your legs for every man with a name. That century. Ring a bell?" Her face fell. She waved her hands and the force field shimmered and fell away. Wrong choice. She walked towards me angrily.

"I think you underestimate me Elijah. So let's start over. I want you to get the hell off of my property before I kill you and that foolish girl! Whatever karma is after that bitch, she deserves it. That's your problem not mine. I think we're done here." She waved her hand and the force field returned. Before I could stop myself, I thrust my hand through the force field. Her eyes widened. I grabbed her by the throat.

The force field felt like tiny needles embedding themselves in my skin. Her legs kicked beneath her as she struggled to breathe. I felt my canines grow. "No. I think you underestimate me. Persephone." Her name like venom on my tongue. I closed my eyes feeling my anger boil over.

She whispered something under her breath but before she could finish, I tightened my grip, making her choke on the words. My voice deepened. "Threaten her again and I will kill you. That is a promise. Now. I asked you to remove something for me, did I not?" She continued to gag. "Yes. And we agreed to destroy it."

I dug my sharp nails into her skin. "So why did I just see it?" Realization hit and she began to thrash wildly. My eyes faded over until they were completely black. I smiled.

"But I'm going to give you a chance to fix it. Because..." I leaned towards her ear. "I'm not as much of a monster as you think I am." A lie of course. If anything I'm worse than anything imaginable. She let out a whimper. I let her go and she fell onto her lawn.

She pushed out in front of her but nothing happened. "Oh yeah." I snapped my fingers. "I took away your magic for a bit. I don't think you'll be needing it until the task is done."

She held her neck while wheezing with tears in her eyes. "How am I supposed to find it without my powers? That'll take forever." I bent down to her level.

"Then you better get to looking because if you don't find it. I will kill you." I walked away without sparing her a second glance.

"This won't change anything Elijah! She will never fall for you again! Once she remembers, you're as good as dead." She spat. I froze. She can never shut up can she?

I turned around with a smile. She sat covered in grass and dirt. I zipped my lips. She tried to speak again but her lips were glued shut. I walked into the shadow of the night and onto my next destination.