lV. Dinner W/ the DuVale's

☆

"Amara hurry the hell up. Your grandma's waiting!" my mom yelled from outside my door. I groaned loudly. Today we're supposed to be traveling to my grandmother's house for dinner and my hair just won't act right. I don't even know why I'm being forced to go. I'm sure tonight will turn out like all the rest.

I slammed down the comb. "Puff ball it is!" I threw up my hair and walked downstairs. My mom tapped her foot impatiently while leaning against the counter.

"About time. Come on, your father is going to meet us there." She set the alarm system before locking the door behind us. "They've been having your father working some serious overtime at the hospital. I just hope he gets off in time and doesn't leave us too deal with that woman." I huffed.

"Like why are we doing this again?"
I glanced at my mom as she drove.

"Because even though your father's mother is crazy as hell, she's still your grandmother." I made a face. "Maybe she won't be that bad tonight. She seemed excited to have us coming over."

"Yeah because maybe she's planning to poison the rice and gravy." She tapped my leg playfully. My parents met when they were just 4 years old and even then they'd been inseparable. They grew up together and quickly fell in love only to turn out to be mates. How easy it'd been for them.

"Oh no. Thats your thinking face. What's going on in that head of yours?" She looked over at me. I let out a breath.

"How did you know that you and dad were soulmates?" She smiled.

"I knew as soon as he looked at me. It was like I'd been reborn in a way. A piece of me that I didn't even know was missing had been filled."  Her skin glowed with happiness as she reminisced. I looked out of my window.
"You know, you're going to meet someone like that some day." I snorted.

"Yeah. Maybe in another lifetime."
I watched as the blurs of green turned into two story houses and farm land. We pulled into my grandmother's driveway. I'm now feeling a bit reluctant about this dinner. The woman never really liked me much at all.
However she adores my older brother, Simon. She'd always say "Be more like your brother. Go do some good in the world." A tap came from outside my window. I smiled seeing my older cousin, Laila. I got out and hugged her tightly. "Favorite cousin!" we both said in unison.

"Now why are you still sitting in the car, Mara?" I gave her a look.

"I don't know why I came. You know she doesn't like me." Laila scoffed.

"That was 2 years ago MarMar. She's better now." I held my head down. 2 years ago we'd invited my grandmother over for Thanksgiving dinner and I'd fucked around and dropped the potatoes. She had a complete mental breakdown. She'd stood up and yelled at me for minutes straight saying how I was evil and how I never did anything right. My dad had to push her out of the house.

We stood at the door. "You know I got your back Amara." I took a deep breath before walking in. The house's familiar pinewood scent entered my nose. We walked into the dining room seeing everyone sitting down. I took a seat beside my dad. He kissed my cheek.

"Hey Pumpkin." I smiled nervously.

Our hostess entered the dining room holding a pan. She faltered when seeing me. "Oh hello Amara, I didn't think you'd be coming." My mom stared upside my head waiting for me to speak back.

"Yeah, me neither." My mother kicked me under the table. I winced. "I mean hello grandmother." Her eye twitched at the last word. She sat all the dishes down with Laila's help. She took a seat at the head of the table, beside me.

"Alright now let's join hands for prayer so we can eat! I'm starving." My dad called his hands greedily and grabbed my left hand. I looked to my right realizing I'd have to hold my grandmothers hands. She hesitated but reached out her hand. I cringed slightly. Why did I not make plans for today? This all could have been avoided if I—

"Amen." Everybody began to dig in.

"You guys ready for that Blood Moon? All the staff members at work are talking about it." My dad said before stuffing his mouth with greens.

My grandma dropped her utensils noisily. "Jeremy! We will not talk about that evil event at the table."

My father apologized under his breath. We continued to eat in silence until Laila spoke up. "Amara you graduate next year. How do you feel? You're officially a senior now." I shrugged and before I could say anything, my grandma interrupted.

"She won't even live that long dear. If the change doesn't kill her then he certainly will." What? My parents both coughed and choked on their food.

"Excuse me!?" My mother shouted.

"Mother don't start. Please. Not tonight," my father begged.

My skin grew hot with anger. "No let her talk, please." She gave me a sour look while Laila shook her head.

"He'll kill you before you even get the chance to walk across that stage," she continued bitterly. I nodded in fake interest.

"Please continue. I'm so intrigued," I added sarcastically. I'm tired of this bitch.

"You're weak. Always was and will be. All because of him! Our savior? Please. Because of you my husband is dead!" She spat venomously. What?

Laila stood up. "Okay that's enough."

My dad hit the table with his fist. The noise echoed throughout the house. "We're leaving." I stood up along with my parents. Laila pouted.

"Y'all wait. She didn't mean it. You haven't even had dessert. I made apple pie." She followed us to the front door.

"I'll just have to receive my slice through the mail because I'll be damned if I sit and let that woman talk about our daughter that way!" My mother grabbed her purse and pulled me out of the house along with my dad. "The nerve of that woman! Your father died from a heart attack Jeremy!" She scoffed. "Amara I am so sorry. I should've never made you come." I just nodded.

Laila grabbed my hand sadly. "I'll call you." I let go of her hand and got into the car silently. She stood in the driveway watching as we backed out and left. I leaned against the car door in silence my tears threatening to spill. As soon as we pulled back into our drive way, I got out of the car and ran into the house.

What did I do? Why does she hate me so much? I don't understand.

I'd be lying if I said her words don't affect me. I broke down into a puddle of tears. My mom banged on my door. "Amara can I come in?" I sobbed. The banging grew louder and louder. I covered my ears.

How could she blame me for something I have no control of?

My skin started to feel hot. A little too hot.

"Amara let me in!"
"Let me in Amara!"
"Amara honey, open up!"
"Let me in!"

My skin grew hotter until it was almost unbearable. My chest tightened as I cried. The tears ran down my cheeks with a hissing sound, sizzling against the hot surface of my skin. I shut my eyes tightly as the banging got louder.

"Please leave me alone." The knocking didn't cease.

The noise and the burning of my skin became too much.

And so I screamed.

Every light bulb in the room flickered to life and then exploded sending shards of glass everywhere. I covered my head. My parents barged in with worried looks on their faces.
"What the hell was that!?" I looked down at the shards of glass with wide eyes.

"I don't- I don't know."