XXlll: The Fire We Make

☆

"You've got to be shitting me."

He leaned back into the chair. "I shit you not." I watched the flames dance inside the fireplace.

"Tell me the rest."

"Are you sure?" I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I said tell me the rest."

"Look I don't wanna make you feel uncomfortable because the things that—"

"If you are suggesting that I'll get jealous, you are incorrect. I have absolutely no reason to feel any type of way towards you but angry. You are nothing to me." Maybe I went too far but it needed to be said. I'm tired of feeling vulnerable to my emotions. Especially towards him. We are nothing to eachother.

His hands gripped the arms of the chair slightly. "Getting close to her was more than just a walk through the woods or holding hands. It required a more passionate route." He paused to see if his words triggered me. When he saw me staring ahead blankly, he continued.

"She and I eventually became so close that her every thought was mine. It was alarming to me because I started to change. The darkness inside of me longed for her. She brought out something in me that I'd always wanted to bury. And so I asked her to take it away. She was more than happy to."

"So we traded. My darkness gone in exchange for a part of my soul. My other half." I felt my heartbeat accelerate at his words. "It was excruciating. The pain. The separation was the only pain I've felt in my entire existence. A pain so agonizing that I slept for 300 days. When I woke up, my memory had been wiped clean. I remember feeling empty and lost. Like something was missing but for the most part I felt normal. And so I ignored it."

I felt an overwhelming sickness come over me. "She was there to nurse me back to health—" I held my hand up feeling slightly out of breath.

"What does any of this have to do with— What are you trying to say?"

"I traded you Amara. I traded you to Alice in exchange for my darkness to be taken away. A part of me knew it wouldn't work but another part of me— Another part of me didn't care."

"I don't understand. Why would you... I don't... How selfish can you be?" I stood up slightly shaking. "Did you not think about how it could affect me? I—"

"You fucking died Amara!" His voice shook the room. I stood my ground looking him straight in the eyes. He stood up. "Don't tell me I'm selfish. Don't you fucking dare!" He stood in front of me an inch maybe less between us.

"I've had to watch you die over and over for eons so don't—" he paused. A billion different questions buzzed around my head. Nothing quite adding up but one thing is for sure. Not only had Alice lied but Moray had too. Eons?

"Tell me the truth." It took everything in me to not fall to the ground like a sack of potatoes and cry. "Truth or false. I was originally created of both light and dark magic but separated myself to save you in 1920." He didn't answer.

"Truth or false Elijah."

"False," he bit out. I sucked in a breath.

"Truth or false. The thing that's been following me has nothing to do with you."

"Amara—"

"True or false?" His shoulders fell.

"False." All false sense of security left me and I backed away from him fearfully, seeing him clearly for the first time. He reached for my hand.  I flinched.