Chapter 16- Hiccup's POV

Today I introduced Merida to dragon racing. I showed her how to do it and she thought it looked fun so we tried it together before the real race. She was a quick learner but this was a tough competition. We had to try it a few times before she got it. Before the race we put on our dragon racing paint and got our dagons ready.

Finally, it was time for the race to start. Merida had pulled her hair back for the race. The first half of the race was slow, like always but it got better. Merida grabbed a sheep from Ruffnut's hands. She carried it to the nets and dropped it in hers. She only had one sheep but that was still pretty good for a beginner.

At the end of the game, I had 4 and Merida still had one. Ruffnut and Tuffnut had one by getting the Black Sheep. After the race Merida and I sat on the ground in the village talking about the race. "That was so much fun!" She said, "I can't wait to get good at it and beat you." I laughed, "You can try." She laughed and shoved me playfully. "I will try and I will succed." She said.

I got off the ground and helped her up. "You do that." I laughed. She rolled her eyes. "Can I wash this paint off?" She touched her fingers to where the paint was on her face. "Yup." I nodded.

We rode our dragons to the cove. I got off Toothless and walked over to the lake. I bent down and began to wash the paint off of my face. I looked on both sides off me but Merida wasn't there. In fact...I couldn't hear her or the dragons. Suddenly, I was pushed into the lake. I swam to the surface and gasped for air. Merida was on the ground laughing, so were Toothless and her dragon. I rolled my eyes, "Haha, very funny. Now help me out." I held out my arm. Once Merida was done laughing she stood back up and grabbed my arm. I pulled her into the lake with me.

I expected her to be mad but instead she just laughed. Then our dragons decided to join us. Water splashed over us. we laughed as the dragons played around in the water with us. Merida went underwater and so I followed her. I looked around for her in the lake. She was swimming to the other end. Her hair was down now. As she turned around to see if I was following her firey red hair floated around her. She kind of looked like a mermaid. I followed her to the other end of the lake. She surfaced and so did I.

The paint was completly washed off her face now. I wondered if the paint was all of my face too. Merida looked at me funny then she put her hand on my cheek and rubbed something off, "You had a little more paint on you." She explained. Merida then moved her hand to my hair and redid a braid in it. She looked up at me and smiled. I smiled back and kissed her.