Chapter 17- Hiccup's POV

I sat in The Great Hall with Merida and my dad. He was going through the plans with us if negotiating with King Fergus didn't work. It was mostly about starting a war with Dun Broch. Merida seemed uncomfortable with the topic. She stared at the table, twirling a dagger in her hand. She would look up sometimes but not a lot. She seemed very relieved when my dad was done talking.

Once he left The Great Hall I turned to Merida, "That was...uh..." She shook her head quickly and squeezed her eyes shut, "No. Don't." I shouldn't have tried to start that conversation with her. "Sorry." I said. She didn't say anything, she just stared at the table.

We at there in silence for a while until my dad came back with a letter in his hand, ''It's from Valka." He smiled and handed me the letter. I took the letter from him, "Have you read it yet?" I asked. He nodded so I opened it up. It talked about how she would be returning home tomorrow but there were people following her. She said she tried to lose them but she didnt know if she had or if they were still following her. I knew who it was. I didnt want to know but sadly...

Merida looked over at the letter in my hands, "What's it say?" She asked. She looked depressed but that changed as she read the letter. "It's them..." She whispered, "They're coming for me." I could tell she was in shock but I didn't know if she was happy or sad she was going to be leaving soon.

Merida might be leaving in about three days. That meant a war might start in three days.