The Sound of the Drums

Clarence 'politely asked' everyone to come to the medical ward to explain Red's situation. She was trying to regulate her breathing after the events. Sanlo explained that her heart would be struggling to get used to everything, hence the breathing.

"Okay. Good news: we can repair and find those two people..." Clarence began, "... but bad news: if Red could see what she was doing for a bit... then she could possibly see what we were doing."

"It's okay, Professor, geez... they would've just seen you panicking." Red laughed in amusement. "Besides, it's not like they know who you are."

Luella shifted her eyes towards Clarence in concern. Whatever she knew, she certainly wasn't going to tell the others anytime soon.

"That would've been fun to see, I'll admit." Felice added. "If we weren't dealing with Carlen and Dai's... couple therapy-"

"It was not couple therapy-!" Dai quickly yelled out, embarrassed. "We were just trying to tell him that maybe he should lay off on those stupid-"

"They are not stupid, Dai! They make me look normal!" Carlen retaliated. "It gets rid of that stupid skin colour, that stupid tail, those stupid horns-"

"C-Carlen, Dai, please..." Clarence quickly stepped in, fearing an even bigger argument. "... Carlen takes that drug since it reminds him off his past. Once he's... come to terms with it, he'll come to terms with his appearance as well."

Dai looked away, pouting. "I just... I never get to see him like that... he looks cute and stuff..."

"Oh? Did I hear that right~?" Carlen grinned, "You think I'm cute? Dai, I had no idea that you felt so strongly towards me~"

"Hey, leave your weird romance stuff to yourselves..." Red sighed. She was never one for romance. "... Besides, most of us here look... different. Ms. Yvette is part robot, Sanlo looks like an insect, Dai... has a thing with clocks in his eyes and Ackley has green skin. Sure, we get weird looks if the Professor isn't around to avert other's eyes, but... it's not like it's a bad thing."

"Don't let that stop you from going to the nearby city, dear!" Luella piped in. "Didn't you want to see that movie with Dai? Even Ackley goes to visit the botanical gardens sometimes! His appearance doesn't stop him from going out..."

"A-Alright, alright... I'll think about it." Carlen seemed to be embarrassed about the whole thing, as he was hiding his face in Dai's clothing. "I just always assumed that I looked hotter like this..."

"L-Like Red said, we should focus on the more important things..." Clarence shifted the conversation back to the topic at hand. "... Red, I've finally repaired what we need. We should be able to locate her and help you."

Luella and Sanlo glanced away. They both knew what had to be done to 'fix' Red. It wasn't as simple as Clarence was making it out to be.

As they made their way back to the room that would enhance Clarence's abilities, Ackley began to wonder what they would do next.

"Professor, I hope you're not suggesting that we start a war with these people," He began, not wanting his precious plants to be harmed in the crossfire. And his friends. But plants were more fragile, more delicate. "They seem powerful... they even targeted your friend..."

"I've known Clarence for many years, Ackley." Luella smiled at him. "He wouldn't do something like that and put all of your lives in danger... if anything, he just wants to help Red."

"I can't have a student of mine get harmed... especially when it was my responsibility to take care of you." Clarence looked away, ashamed. "From now on, Luella and I will be the ones going away for things like this."