When We Were Merry

Luella wondered about the time she first met Clarence, too. It was when she was much younger - about the same age as the others here.

Luella was in France, escaping her previous perils. She had spent the night in an empty hotel room. It was morning, and she began to walk down the stairs as she saw a man.

"E-Excusez-moi?" He managed to blurt out his French stiff.

Luella gasped and turned to face him. She tried desperately to hide her metal features underneath her robe. Yet the man still saw it.

Before he had a chance to react, she charged at him - the last thing he saw was a fist coming to his face. Luella picked him up - surprised at how light he was.

When he came to, he found himself miraculously in his room again. Luella had found his room key in his pocket. Her robe was off, her hospital gown showing. For some reason, the man blushed and looked away.

"Qui es-tu?" Luella asked him. This was France, after all. People mostly spoke French.

"U-Um... je... je ne..." He tried to form a French sentence, but he clearly wasn't very good at it

Luella tilted her head before speaking again. "You... English?" She asked him.

"Ou- Yes-!!" The man nodded, sitting up. "English! That's me...!"

"I ask again," She began, almost in perfect English. "Who are you?"

"My name is... Clarence Bordeaux." He told her. "I'm a university student... I-I'm not a threat, I promise-! I won't tell anyone that you were trying to rob the place!"

"I wasn't... I was searching for shelter..." Luella, looking around. "... That bed is big enough for two... I could borrow it..."

Clarence's face flushed as he stood up. "U-Um, mind if you tell me your name? I didn't think I caught it."

She nodded. "My name is Luella. Luella Yvette." Luella shot him a glare. "If you don't do what I tell you, I'll... I'll do something bad, okay-? I... I need to rest and... I'm not letting a student stop me...!"

"You do look awfully tired." Clarence commented. "But... what's with that hospital gown? And... your arm and leg..."

"I-I'm the one asking the questions here-!" Luella said in a panicked tone. "F-First... I need a change of clothes... please...!"

Clarence nodded and rushed towards the wardrobe. He gave Luella some of his old clothes - nice, but old.

Luella took the pieces of clothing and glanced towards the bathroom. "You can't leave, so, um.... I'll just get changed in there..."

"O-Oh, I don't know if you can-!" Clarence replied. He hesitated, realising what that just sounded like. "Um... I mean, I couldn't get the door to open..."

She shrugged and opened the door with ease. "This door? It's easy. Were you... making it up...?"

"No-!" He insisted as Luella closed the door. "I just... ah..."

Once she finished getting changed, Luella stepped out, clutching her robe tightly against her chest.

"It fits... I'm thankful to get out of that gown..." She sighed as she joined Clarence on the bed. "... um, thank you... I-I know I'm forcing you into all of this, but, I... I can be a real threat-!"