05 | πέντε

05 | πέντε

▂▂▂▂܍▂▂▂▂

I DIDN'T GET any sleep that night, all I could think about was Ares and how truly ruthless he was.

How could I be the fated love of someone so reckless and impulsive? I couldn't even handle the thought of seeing him in the morning. I decided on not telling him what Apollo had told me because who knew how he would react. Ares was a walking time bomb, therefore you had to constantly walk on eggshells around him and I wasn't sure that was a life I wanted for myself.

Maybe the prophecy just wasn't right.

Praying that my wrist bite would have somehow miraculously healed by then, despite the pain, I checked it and cursed under my breath when I saw the results.

It looked like it was getting worse by the hour. The laceration had turned blue, though the animal bite mark had a suspicious hue of red surrounding it.

The pain didn't subside as I pressed my thumb against it, it multiplied ten fold. Ignoring the pain completely, I took a shower and changed into the clothes that were already laid out for me on my bedside table. Simple clothing, jeans and a t-shirt with a pair of perfectly fitting sneakers. I bandaged the injury up to hide how horribly it had mutated.

"I still don't understand why we don't just attack. We have the bolt, what more do we need?" Ares groaned, running his fingers through his fire red air, anxiously pacing over the exorbitant living room carpet.

I was stood very far away from Ares, trying my best to escape his gaze, and if he noticed that I had been avoiding him, he didn't mention it although he did through a few confused glances my way, glances which I also avoided.

Apollo and Eris shared a glance, both rolling their eyes. "Brother, you must understand that even without the bolt, they are far more powerful than we are. They have Athena, Artemis... freaking Poseidon. We're useless." Eris countered, leaning against the wall. Eris had changed her look up completely since I had met her, for she was now dressed in a rather short red dress, her hair now a coppery-brown colour, flowing down to her shoulders, red lipstick and excess makeup caking her face and yet she somehow made it work. All of it topped off with fancy jewelry that made her look like she was the literally embodiment of a million bucks.

"Who said I can't beat Athena?" Ares retorted, his ego obviously bruised. "History, brother. History." Apollo harshly pressed his hand over his brother's shoulder as I snorted at the accurate comment, earning a smirk from Apollo and a grimace from his brother.

"Yes, but we are not alone. Remember that we too have multiple followers. Many more than those of the Olympians."

I started to wonder what other gods were involved in this war, who was on our side and who was on the opposing side.

"Who do we have?" I asked, my curiosity finally got the better of me.

Eris was the one who answered my question. "It's not very complicated to understand. The main twelve gods of Olympus are the ones who are all powerful, the major deities; Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Artemis, Hermes, Hephaestus, Aphrodite, Dionysus and our very own Ares and Apollo." Eris counted all the names of the deities on her fingers, staring up into the ceiling to remember all their names.