επίλογος | epilogue

επίλογος | epilogue

*two months later*

▃▃ ▃▃ ▃▃

DID YOU DO IT?" I asked as the sound of the door to my bedroom being opened filled my headspace.

I knew that it had to be Ares, and it truly was. There was a grim expression on his face, he was dressed in all black with his signature thin silver chain around his neck.

His red locks were pushed back, as he plopped down onto the bed besides me, running his hands through his hair.

"I still think that this was a bad idea..." he said to me, taking my hand into his. I met his gaze, a frown etching itself onto my face.

"Please tell me you did it, Ares." I urged him and he nodded, taking my hand up to his lips and kissing it with subtlety. He then began to rub it softly, calming me immediately.

"Yes. I did it." He reassured me.

After Zeus had been defeated, the gods took a vote to decide on their new leader. The majority voted for Ares, who was now king of the gods.

He also told me everything Aphrodite did, and how she had deceived me into believing it was all him when it was actually her. It made me feel better, despite the gnawing at my heart.

She ran away when Ares was imprisoned and hadn't returned since. Nobody had seen her.

"It's what's best, Ares. Besides, I'm not going back. This way, it hurts less. They've been crying over me for too long." I said, staring at the white wall before me.

"About that... are you sure you want to do this?" He asked, arching a thick brow in question. I spared him a glance, then my lips broke into a large smile.

"What, you don't want me around anymore, tough guy?" I asked him jokingly, though I was hiding a little bit of insecurity.

Did he want me around? Was I forcing this whole thing?

"You know I want that more than anything." He took my other hand, kissing it as well.

" – but if it means making your entire family, everybody you know, even your freaking parents forget you even existed... I mean, what if you want to go back?" He asked as I leaned into his shoulder, feeling warmth all over me, engulfing me.

I turned to look at him. "Look, I wouldn't want Gayle and Milo remembering something like this, anyway." I shook my head.

"I want to stay with you, Ares. I want to be your queen. Forever." The look on his face after I said those words immediately made me feel better about what I was doing. It felt right.

I couldn't find it in myself to just go back after fighting the war. It wouldn't be the same. What would I do? Finish college? Get a nine-to-five job?

It just wasn't who I was anymore. It wasn't who I wanted to be.

The genuine smile on Ares' face made my insides warm as he leaned in for a kiss. I smirked, leaning in as well until our lips touched.