39 | τριάντα εννέα

39 | τριάντα εννέα

▃▃▃▃⚡︎▃▃▃▃

SO, THIS IS her. The fabled chosen one." A deep voice reverberated through the crisp air as Demeter and I dashed down the large hallway.

The floor was gold, and the walls were white with multiple echelon gold-frame tapestries hung on them.

My heartbeat quickened as we raced around a corner, with my breath beginning to hitch because of the speed at which we were running.

I was struggling to keep up.

"Who - who said that?" My question was directed at Demeter, who did not seem phased by the thunderous voice calling out in the background.

"Don't worry, if it were Zeus you would have been dead already." She said calmly, slowing her speeds down.

Everything seemed bigger. The walls were longer, hallways wider and I found myself wondering why.

We turned the corner, and I narrowed my eyes at the blinding light coming from the doors.

Just as Artemis had said, the door was platinum and littered with a few lightning bolts on them.

The bolts were what was blinding me. It was like a two dimensional drawing, where the bolts were plastered onto the doors. It felt impossible to think that one could just reach in and grab one.

A gust of wind, then, sounds of wings whirring before a figure landed in front of the door.

"You must be Ariel." The same voice that had been thundering throughout the castle walls was now a little less magnified as he glared at me with his deep blue-green eyes.

He ran a hand through his tousled ash blond locks and smirked at me. He licked his rose pink lips before speaking. "Quite a lot smaller than I imagined." He tilted his head in efforts to examine me.

Demeter let my hand go with the roll of her eyes. "We do not have time for your childishness, Poseidon," she hissed.

"Very well." He drawled back, folding his arms over his broad chest, an impassive expression flitting onto his face.

"Ares has been compromised." He let out bluntly, causing my heart to start up faster. Compromised?

"What do you mean, compromised?" I voiced my thoughts, tone a lot more high pitched than usual.

Poseidon seemed taken aback by my courage to speak up. The shear disbelief on his face lasted not longer than two seconds before he covered it up again.

"What I mean, you sublunary fool, is that Zeus has your little boyfriend. He's torturing him now as we speak, so you might want to fast-track the whole Kill Zeus fiasco." He replied arrogantly, earning himself a hostile glare from Demeter, who smacked him upside the head for me.

He glared at her. "That's quite enough hubris for today, brother. We are on a mission, here... so can you open the door or was my recruiting you completely useless?" She growled, and it was my first time seeing the goddess actively growl at somebody.