07 | επτά

07 | επτά

▂▂▂▂𓊗▂▂▂▂

FALLING INTO THE pits of hell was a daunting experience, but one I had experienced nevertheless.

With my wrist tingling painfully and eyes screwed shut, I landed on something – or rather someone cushioning my descent.

My eyes opened to a pair of golden-brown irises staring into mine, a comforting smile etched onto his features.

My chest was pressed against his, the slow rising and falling of his chest the only movement between us as my hair fell on our sides, caging the both of us.

My heart began to beat more erratically than it actually had when we fell in the first place. His eyes were glistening lustfully, with his hand over my waist to keep my safe still there after the fall.

"No. No, no, no." Eris' voice had brought me out of my haze. Suddenly, I was hit by a strong wave of heat, my scar tingling with a stronger sensation than before.

Breaking eye contact, I hopped up, offering Ares a hand which he declined before getting up on his own.

Gazing out into the distance, I shrunk behind the three gods. The whole place was engulfed in flames, burning brighter and brighter, the only safe haven being the brown, narrow patch of land above the flames. The flames were the only source of light, but luckily they were large enough to keep the whole place lit up.

"What is going on here?" Apollo was the first to speak, his firm voice echoed throughout the large place.

I took the chance to stare up into the sky, nothing but darkness. There was nothing but a dark abyss which acted as a substitute for the sky, and the only thing keeping us from the damning flames of hell was the brown patch of land surrounding us, forming a walk-way allowing us forward to wherever we wanted to go.

"This must be a mistake, I did everything right – "

"In that case, how the hell did we land in the worst place possible? We were aiming for Hades, the quieter parts of this realm. This place is exactly the reason I didn't want to come. Dammit, Eris! You've put us all in danger!" Only now did I spot the bickering gods, Ares shooting daggers at his sister with his flaming irises.

Eris seemed unfazed, though I did spot a flicker of guilt dancing in her eyes before it faded away and thus remained her usual bored expression. "How was I supposed to know that this portal was going to shoot us straight into Tartarus? Give me a break." She replied, throwing her hands in the air, surrendering the argument.

Ares huffed irritably, clutching his fists. Apollo seemed deep in thought about something, pacing up and down on the brown patch of land.

I was confused, not sure exactly where the problem was lying. I had always thought the Underworld to look exactly like this, a dark pit ending in flames and inexplicable horrors.

"What's going on?" I piped in, all three of them falling silent at the sound of my voice. The scar on my wrist was burning once again, the feel of hot metal pressing against it more real than I could ever imagine. I knew it was because I was in the Underworld, closer to the monster that had administered this mark on my skin. I chose to ignore it, not wanting to be an even greater nuisance than I already was.