29 | είκοσι εννιά

29 | είκοσι εννιά

▃▃▃▃♟︎▃▃▃▃

I'M HONESTLY NOT the one you should be upset with." Aphrodite said, sliding a short glass filled with a sparkly golden liquid towards me as she took her own in her hands.

I watched the glass, the sparkly liquid glistening in the dim lighting, before sliding it back towards her. Her perfectly shaped eyebrow arched at my resistance. "That's nectar, isn't it?" I asked calculatedly and she nodded. "It'll kill a mortal like me, everyone knows that." I said and she smirked.

"You and I both know very well that you stopped being mortal the second his lips touched yours." She said, sliding it back across.

How did she know? Who told her? Had it spread? Did everybody know?

"Relax. Apollo told me." She smirked, checking her perfectly manicured red nails.

"Why me?" I asked her. I was tired of tiptoeing around her, I needed to know the truth. The sounds of the harp in the background grew louder, and were now surrounded by the intricate sounds of the violin. The people around us were laughing, all indulging in nectar.

Her green eyes met mine, thick lips parting slightly. "Why you what?" She asked as if she didn't know what I was talking about but I knew she did.

"Just cut the crap. Why did you choose me to be Ares' fated love?" I was getting irritated, I felt my fists clench and I just wanted to give her a piece of my mind.

I didn't even know why I was so upset anyway. Was it because she had been Ares' past lover, and I found the way he still couldn't take his eyes off of her intimidating?

She was my superior in every way.

She was more beautiful. She was more powerful. Why would Ares want me over her?

"You think I did this? You think I'm the one responsible for your being eternally bound to that man?" She sounded offended by my words, but she took a sip of her nectar, which seemed to calm her.

"I do not decided who gets fated to who, Ariel. Destiny does. Fate does. I just see to it that it always falls through without a hitch." She said, taking my hand into hers.

"Please. Please, forgive me for not telling you the truth about all of this." Her eyes were glazing over with tears now, and my anger dissipated with her touch.

"Truth be told, I wasn't even supposed to be around that long. My job was to watch over you, ensure that you'd make it to your twenty-first birthday..." she tore her eyes away from me now.

"I kept you safe from everything Zeus and the Olympians sent your way to kill you. I protected you because I care about you. Whether you choose to believe it or not, you really are my best friend. Sutton, or Aphrodite. It's all the same to me." She said softly, finally gaining the courage to look me in the eye again.

"But I made a mistake." She said, taking my hand in a split second and snapping her fingers.

It took me a moment to understand what had just happened, but we were back in my bedroom now. I blinked as my eyes focused.