25 | είκοσι πέντε

25 | είκοσι πέντε

▃▃▃▃☘︎▃▃▃▃

MY HEART WAS thumping against my chest as I took yet another deep breath.

Ares took my hand, effectively warming it and calming me down from my nervousness. We were stood in front if the door leading into the dining room.

"I... I don't think I can do this..." I confessed, squeezing Ares' hand in mine in hopes that he would never let me go. He fixed his tie and shifted uncomfortably. "Don't panic. It's just dinner and I'll be there every step of the way. I just want us to gather as much information tonight as possible. Tomorrow night is the ball, and by then I would like for us to have what we need." He said, his bright brown eyes lingering on my green medieval hoop dress.

It felt like I belonged in a Jane Austen novel, the way I was dressed. It was big, and uncomfortable and all I wanted to do was shrivel into a whole and only come out when it was time for me to take it off.

"You couldn't get me a pair of jeans and a tank top? This thing is uncomfortable." I hissed to him, pouting angrily.

He groaned, rolling his eyes. "Right, I'll just hop into my Audi A8 and drive to Forever 21 to get you what you need. Oh yeah, that's right, we're in the land of the dead." He hissed back and I hit his shoulder, scowling.

"Ever since I kissed you, you've been – "

"Choose your next words wisely, Ares..." I cut him off, leaning in closer so that our faces were mere inches apart. He lifted his hands up in surrender and I smirked triumphantly. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right.

Ever since I crossed over, I'd been a whole lot more irritable. Every small thing pissed me off and my moods changed like the hours. Everything was magnified.

It had been three days since I woke up, and I must admit I'd been hiding out in the room, having Ares run all kinds of errands such as getting me food and such. Luckily there was an en suite bathroom.

My system had been going incredibly well until I received two golden envelopes this morning. One was an invitation to dinner with the greek heroes tonight and the other, an invitation to the ball tomorrow night.

I knew I could hide myself no longer.

"Can't believe I'm about to meet Odysseus." I murmured excitedly, effectively changing the subject.

Odysseus had always been my favourite greek hero. After all, the Odyssey by Homer was inspired by him and his groundbreaking story. I had chills.

"Should I be worried?" Ares scowled, eyebrow arching up suspiciously as his eyes narrowed at me.

I smirked. "I don't know, should you?" I challenged.

"Are you challenging me?" He spoke but our moment was cut short when the doors leading to the dining room flew open, stunning me along with it.

The room was beautiful. The walls were made out of expensive looking black marble, and the floors a very dark, smooth wood.

There were tapestries of ancient paintings framed in pure gold along all of the walls. A large chandelier hung in the middle of the room and beneath it a rather long, mahogany table was stationed.