1.08: sephine

"You ready?" Hayes asks, offering me his hand. Thinking I was ready to be publicly known as Hayes's girlfriend, and actually being prepared to publicly be Hayes's girlfriend are two completely different things.

I push a smile onto my face and take it, threading my fingers with his, "Let's do it."

My nerves are unintentionally shown by my death tight grip on his hand, and Hayes leans down as we walk through the doors, "Montgomery take a breath. It's gonna be fine."

I roll my eyes, "Of course it's going to be fine. I highly doubt anyone is going to even care."

Hayes chuckles, "Then why are your fingers trying to choke mine?"

"Shut up. Can we go to my locker now, or can you just let go of my hand so that I can go to my locker?" I ask, changing subjects as we walk down the main hallway.

"I don't know, can we?"

He's taunting me, and I keep letting him get to me; I attempt to pull out of his grip, but the roles have changed, and now his hand is tightly holding mine. "You're kind of annoying," I retort, not realizing that we were making a scene in the hallway, but I guess that was kind of the point. Hayes is incredibly annoying from the terrible combination of his good features, and that he is very aware of how attractive he is.

Hayes's genuine laughter rings out, "Yet, somehow, you still agreed to be my girlfriend." His specific wording leads me to remember that we're not just on our own and that all of this is being done with a purpose.

I could almost be in theatre with how quickly I change my expression from one of annoyance to one of a teenage girl in the new stages of a relationship. "Sorry, I guess you're just not that memorable, so I keep forgetting."

"Guess I better fix that later," He nonchalantly says, now attracting a few more stares before taking the lead towards my locker. Because I came later than everyone else, I got a locker in one of the older parts of the school, so we finally had some time to take a breath from the lie that had become our lives. "That wasn't so hard, right?"

"No, I guess not."

"See? We can totally do this." He seems very confident that this won't blow up in our faces, but I can't say I feel the same way. Hayes leans against the lockers next to mine. At the same time, I try to find my AP psychology notebook in the stack of all the other notebooks that are the same color. Mistake on my part when I expected my mom to have a notebook in any color other than black.

"We got it right with the frenzy, but something tells me that Tessa won't be so easily fooled," I mutter, finally locating the notebook at the very bottom of the stack.

"You put on a pretty good performance, so I don't think that'll be too hard to do."

Tucking a piece of hair behind my ear, I hold the notebook out to Hayes, "Could you hold this for a second so I can put it in my backpack?"

"Damn dude, a few days in, and she's already made you her pack mule?" Cam taunts, and I give him a rather unamused look leading to Cam putting his arms up in surrender. "I'm just joking," he tries to explain, but I take the notebook from Hayes's hands, whacking Cam on the side of his arm with it.

"Stop being a dick."

"Who's being a dick?" Liv asks, rolling the sleeves of her uniform up past her elbows. "Well, I'm assuming it can only be one of these two idiots that have dicks no matter how microscopic they may be."

Hayes frowns at her comment clearly bothered by the jab towards his 'little buddy,' and I try to stifle my laugh, but it doesn't go unnoticed by him. "You know you're the one that suffers if I do end up being microscopic, but I can promise that I'm not."