epilogue

I've been home for a day, and Hayes has been fussing over me for nearly every minute of it. I haven't been able to ask what I want to ask because it's just not been a good time. I called Ollie and told him that if he didn't agree, I'd go all by my damn self.

My parents left three days ago, and my dad refused to stand in the same room as Hayes during my time in the hospital, just making everything more miserable than it already was.

I was by no means moving around easier, but the side effects from the D&C were practically gone. All that was left was the bump and the emptiness that came from looking at it in the mirror or resting my hand on it, reminding myself that there was no longer a baby.

Hayes had been running himself ragged between taking care of the company and me, and I don't know how to help. Tessa stayed as long as she could, but her bosses threatened a lawsuit if she didn't return. Liv called and said that she and Cam were planning to visit soon.

He's currently on the phone with his computer on his lap as he tries to cover the details of an agreement that one of the board members authorized without running it past him.

He angrily hangs up the phone, clearly not happy with the way the conversation went. Hayes shuts the laptop, pushing it away from him before taking a deep breath and leaning back into the couch. "Is everything okay?" I ask, holding onto the wall next to me, and he looks up at me in surprise, not expecting me to be there.

"Yeah, it's not a big deal," Hayes replies, running a hand through his hair. "What are you doing out of bed? I thought you were going to take a nap."

I shrug, walking slowly to sit next to him. "I've had a lot on my mind and didn't feel like sleeping. What happened?"

Hayes tries to muster up a smile, but he just looks exhausted. "It's nothing you need to worry about. I'll take care of it."

"You're pushing yourself too hard," I say, brushing his hair back while he chews the inside of his cheek. "I just wanted to let you know that Ollie and I are going out for a little bit, and I should be back in an hour or two."

"No, I can go out and get whatever you need, I don't think it's the best idea to be out and about," Hayes says, and I shake my head.

"I'm not asking for your permission to leave; he's already here," I say, standing up, and his face softens.

"I didn't mean it like that. I just don't want you to get hurt again." He loops his pinky with mine.

A sigh escapes my lips, but I don't back down. "I won't be gone long, I promise, but you need to take a break from all the pressure you're putting on yourself."

He hasn't been sleeping. Hayes slips out of bed around eleven, thinking that I won't notice, but he doesn't come back until four, and each time I think he'll hold me close, yet he doesn't. So we lay there side by side too afraid to say something.

"I know I do, and I promise I'll take a break if you promise to be careful." He pleads, "I'm not sure what I would do if anything else happened to you."

"I'll be careful, I promise."

A part of me feels guilty that I'm not telling him where I'm going, but if I did, he'd never let me go, and I need the closure that comes with going to see him. I unhook our pinkies, but Hayes isn't done, and he catches me before I'm out the door.

"Seph wait," He calls out, and I turn my feet to face him because I can't just rotate with my injuries. "I forgot to give you this," Hayes says, and I can feel the confusion running through my mind. It stops when he cups my cheeks and presses a tentative kiss to my lips. It only lasts a few seconds, and I can tell that he's unsure whether he did the right thing.