2.15: sephine

He waits until we get back to the penthouse's privacy before asking the question, Hayes probably waited for the entire car ride to ask, "Was that Earl?" It's a weak attempt at him to get me to laugh again, but it doesn't exactly work.

"I think you know it's Ezra," I correct sighing, "But yeah. That was him."

I use my other hand to play with the tulle of my dress, "Do you want to talk about it?" He asks, making sure not to push hard.

"I don't know what there even is to say about it. He wanted to get back together and I-" My voice falters as I can't make the words come out.

"You?"

"I didn't. We ended because Ezra couldn't deal with the fact that I was gone for weeks at a time with tours. Then when I was back, he'd have business obligations that I just didn't have the energy to go to. He thought he could be okay with me going back on tour, but it felt like a situation where someone was saying one thing but meant the complete opposite, you know?"

"Yeah, I think I do know."

I turn away from Hayes, proceeding to break the grip that our hands had been stuck in but I'm not sure if it was out of choice or out of obligation, "I'm sorry, I can't believe I'm talking to you about this when it's not your problem at all. Your cousin was really nice, and I should have been more present in the conversation."

"It was a long night, and I don't think he noticed. Besides, we'll see them again soon enough."

I nod, trying to muster up another smile before leaving Hayes standing in the kitchen. I head to my room that's mostly unpacked due to the amount of boredom I suffer from these days. I'm struggling to reach the lacings, something I can actually blame on the limited mobility in my shoulder when there's a knock on the door. "Come in," I call out too frustrated with my incapability to take the dress off when Hayes peeks his head in. "Can you please help me get out of my dress?"

Hayes nimbly unravels the ribbon that held the dress together around me as it falls, but I hug it to my chest to keep myself from revealing everything to Hayes again. "We can talk after you get dressed."

I don't have the opportunity to reply because he's already stepped out of the bedroom. I'm wearing my favorite sweatshirt, and a pair of shorts that aren't even visible because of the length of the stretched out sweatshirt when I walk out of the room.

My arms are wrapped around me as Hayes paces in the other room wearing sweatpants and a thin white t-shirt that contrasts deeply with his Mediterranean skin. Thin enough I can see the toned accents of his body with every move he makes.

"Hey," I wish it came out with the confidence I thought it would, but it doesn't. However, it is enough to get Hayes's attention, and he turns around to face me.

"Do you remember the day you shoved me into your room when Liv dropped by?" Hayes brings up that day specifically, and I feel my heart somewhat stop as I force myself to laugh lightly.

"Yeah, what about it?" My feet shuffle as I shift my weight from my left leg to my right leg.

His eyes are clear but unrevealing, "Why did you hide me?" My stomach drops in my stomach. I'd been hoping to avoid this conversation, but it's not the case, so I can only look down to stare at the pink polish on my toes. Hayes sucks in a sharp breath, "Seph, just answer the question."

"What do you want me to say? Hayes, I don't know what I'm doing." I look up at him, and I can see the confusion forming on his face as he works it out.

"I don't understand you sometimes. You left, it wasn't my choice. You did what was best for you, completely pushing how you knew I would feel about it into the back of your mind."