Jaxon

I twirl the knife around in my hand, admiring the craftmanship. The blade and handle are one solid piece of carved obsidian. It is so sharp, it can cut through armor as easily as flesh.

"I still can't believe you beat me."

I roll my eyes. Here it comes. "And why is that?" I sigh.

"You're fucking the dragon hunter," he growls and I raise my eyebrow.

"Would you like me to fuck you instead?"

His eyes fly wide and he clenches his jaw before quickly turning away to pick up his sword and fix his armor. I chuckle as I turn to Ash beside me. "I bet he'd enjoy it."

He shakes his head. "He wouldn't be able to take it," he smirks.

I grin before turning back to Lance. "Please explain to me how who I sleep with makes any difference in whether or not I can beat you."

"Well uh―I don't uh―I guess it uh, it doesn't really," he mumbles.

"Then why would you say something like that?" I ask. I can see Ash trying not to laugh out of the corner of my eye.

"I don't know," he murmurs.

"Come on Lance tell me. Why would you say something like that?"

"Well everyone else says it."

"What do they say?"

"They say having a male mate makes you weak. And the fact that your mate is the dragon hunter makes you weaker because you let an enemy into your bed," he mutters, staring at the ground.

"Well maybe we should get them out here so they can see exactly how weak I am?" I smirk, glancing over at Ash.

You're being awfully witty this morning, he remarks.

I shrug. I'm in a good mood.

I sit down on the stone wall and watch Lance disappear into the trainees' quarters. He returns a few minutes later followed by the four other juveniles.

They move to stand in front of me, most of them look annoyed but two―Lance and Nathan―look scared shitless.

"I heard you guys think I'm weak."

Fara rolls her eyes while the others immediately shoot accusatory glances at Lance. "You pussy! I can't believe you told on us," one hisses angrily.

"Yes he did tell me and if someone tries to punish him for it they will answer to me. Now someone explain to me why you guys think I'm weak," I sigh in irritation.

They remain silent. "Really now you guys don't want to talk?" They shift uneasily and glance at each other but stay quiet. I roll my eyes. "Who's weak now? You can't even gather up enough courage to tell me to my face," I snort.

"Go clean the dining hall, if we hear about this again you five are going to be sitting in the cages," Ash growls.

"Won't that be fun in the snow?" I mutter.

The five grumble and shove each other as they make their way to the dining hall. I breathe a sigh of relief when they're finally out of sight.

"How the hell did they deal with little shits before the cages were built?" Ash asks.

"They locked them in the cold iron cells under the palace. It wasn't as effective though since these cold iron cells are in the middle of the clearing for everyone to see. It's more about shaming than physical punishment," I tell him.

"How long do you think it will take for them actually listen to and respect you?"

"Well first of all they have to listen to and respect both of us, not just me. And considering the shits barely respected my mother," I sigh, "it could take a very long time."