Jaxon

Sorry for the long wait, I hope this kinda long chapter makes up for it :)

******

"Did it kill me yet?" Ash asks.

My heart still beats furiously and I can feel my hands shaking. "What the hell is that?"

He glances back at the creature crouching on his chest. "I think it's a leopard cub."

My eyes grow wider when I realize how calm and undeterred he is. "Why the hell isn't this freaking you out?"

"Because I'm dead inside."

I roll my eyes. "Right," I mutter. "Well do you have an idea as to what it's doing in our bedroom?"

"I just want to know why it won't get off me?" He growls.

The cat gives a little chirp and jumps down onto the floor. A faint trail of smoke seems to follow it when it moves. Its paws are completely silent on the floor as it paces back and forth beside the bed.

"I think it's safe for you to get down now."

I glare at Ash but he just watches with amusement as I climb down from the bedframe.

"I don't think I've ever seen you move that fast," he chuckles.

"Yeah well I never expected to have a fucking shadow creature suddenly appear in my bedroom," I defend.

Ash leans over the edge of the bed, reaching down towards the cat. It immediately rubs against his hand. "Oh no Jaxon it's trying to kill me with its cuteness, quick—run for your life!"

"That's hilarious," I mutter, my voice filled with sarcasm.

My gaze snaps up as the door swings open. I growl again when I see my mother and Fara standing in the doorway, looking quite pleased with themselves.

"You two did this, didn't you?"

My mother shrugs. "I owed you two a gift," she says.

"You got us a cat?"

"Jax I literally just told you it's a leopard," Ash mutters making me roll my eyes.

"Actually it's a dæmon," Fara corrects.

"A dæmon?" I echo. "You mean like the dinosaur-bird-thing that Syrra has?"

"Sort of. The bond is a little different but the creatures are made the same way," my mother explains.

"Huh," I murmur. I look over to see Ash sitting with the leopard in his lap. It purrs loudly as he pets the top of his head. I can't help the smile that creeps onto my lips.

"So which one of you screamed?" Fara suddenly asks.

"Oh that was Jax," my mate laughs.

My smile immediately turns into an annoyed frown. "Thanks Ash, more people definitely needed to know about that," I growl, falling backwards onto the bed.

"Well before you fall asleep you both need to pack," my mother says.

"Why? Where are we going?"

"Zella went into labor this morning."

"Really?"

"Yeah so pack some stuff, we're leaving in a few hours."

*****

Did you really have to bring the cat?

For fuck's sake Jax it's a leopard! How many times am I going to have to tell you that? he growls.