Kaine

"I don't understand," Syrra murmurs.

I glance sideways at her. "What are you talking about?"

She shrugs and shakes her head. "I just don't get it. They took your brother and his mate only to return them safe and sound months later? It doesn't make any sense."

"Safe and sound? You're kidding right?" I scoff.

"Well I mean—"

"They're covered in open wounds and new scars, they look like they haven't had food or water since they were taken, not to mention the fact that neither of them have woken up since they got back."

She sighs, putting her hand over mine. "I'm sorry Kaine, it's just that after everything Jada said, I was almost expecting them to be dead when we finally found them. The angels are a powerful people and we had no way of even attempting a rescue. I didn't have a lot of hope so this seemed like a win," she explains.

My chest tightens a little. She was right. This should be a win. Of all the possible ways this could have ended, getting my brother and his mate back alive was definitely one of the better outcomes. But the longer I sit beside Jaxon and Ash, the more my hope waned.

Their bodies were absolutely emaciated. Ash had a nasty open wound on his chest. It was almost right over his heart and I'm not sure how he is still alive much less breathing normally. Jaxon was better off but not by much; he was covered in large bruises and what looked like dozens of knife wounds. And then there were the festering blisters around both of their necks—it was like they had been wearing burning collars that were much too tight.

All I could think about was how I desperately wanted my brother to wake up, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I was afraid that the brother I lost wasn't the same one they rescued.

******

"I was instructed to obtain information about dragon territory as well as the new witch queen. And before you ask I didn't hurt the boys," she says with a small half smile, glancing pointedly at my mother, "I have been doing this for a very long time and I learned pretty quickly that physical pain is one of the least effective ways to get information when you're dealing with beings as powerful as dragons.

"Besides, torture isn't really my thing," she finishes, taking a slow sip from her wine glass.

My mother rubs at her temple then sighs. "Who hurt them then?"

The woman's eyebrows pop up for a second as a quiet snort escapes her lips. "A stupid man with tiny wings named Dorin."

The woman beside her leans over with a scowl. "For the love of the gods Aurelia will you let that go?" she growls almost inaudibly.

"Tiny wings? What does that mean?" Syrra asks, but the woman ignores her. In fact, she seems to ignore everyone except for my mother. So far she has only answered her questions.

"Am I supposed to know that name?" My mother asks.

She shook her head. "I doubt you would. He was a high ranking member of our civilization that oversaw the angelic guard. He was very close to our very corrupt leader so he took over my job of questioning the boys and he is far less kind."

Everyone goes quiet, but it is clear on their faces that everyone was imagining the same horrors. Aurelia stayed silent for a few minutes as she returned to her food, but then she set down her fork and looked back up at my mother.

"You know, I think Ash might have known him actually."

"What makes you think that?"

"I've never seen anyone look at that weasel of a man and be that terrified. The poor boy almost had a panic attack before Dorin even pulled out a knife," she sighs.