Fara

I let the waves of heat roll over me, sighing at the energy that seeps into my aching muscles. It's quiet, so quiet I can hear my own heartbeat.

After a few minutes of staring into the flames I find myself humming. I haven't heard the song in years and I don't remember the words but the tune is permanently etched in my mind.

The fire seems to almost dance to it.

Footsteps snap me out of my trance and I sit up, my heart pounding. My eyebrows furrow at the dark shadow of the dragon king—only recognizable by his golden hair, gleaming in the light of the volcano.

"I'm sorry I didn't think anyone was going to be up here," he murmurs.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

He shrugs. "I couldn't sleep," he says.

"Where's your mate?"

"He's helping his mother."

I frown. "It's the middle of the night."

"Yeah well she's still struggling and some days are worse than others," he mutters.

"Right," I mumble, scooting over on the rock. "Well I wouldn't mind some company if you want to stay?"

He nods a little before sitting down about a meter away, wincing sharply as he settles in one of the smooth grooves that cover the top of the volcano. "What are you doing up here?" he asks with a small sigh.

"Break technically starts tomorrow but most of the dragons start partying tonight. There's way too many people and it's too loud and it reeks of liquor and I just—" I pause, running my hand through my hair. "It's calming up here," I finally say.

He smiles a little then hugs his knees to his chest. The harsh light of the volcano makes his face appear gaunt. He looks tiny and weak.

How in the name of Kilano is he responsible for the deaths of hundreds of dragons?

Don't underestimate him Fara, I'm sure he could still easily kill a dragon if he wanted to, Adriel warns.

"What?" he suddenly asks, his voice filled with annoyance.

"Do you think you could teach me to use a bow?" I ask.

"I thought Zari was teaching you."

"She is but I've heard that you're the best archer since the spirits walked the earth."

He glances sideways at me then frowns down at his hands. "The spirits still walk the earth," he murmurs.

"Wait what?"

He shakes his head. "I'm sorry I don't do archery anymore."

"What do you mean the spirits still walk the earth?" I repeat, confusion swirling in my mind.

He lets out a heavy breath. "Sometimes the spirits reincarnate and a Fury can end up with a dragon that is much more powerful and knowledgeable than it should be because it's actually several centuries—even millennia old."

"Your mate has one doesn't he?" I ask, an excited smile crawling onto my lips.

He doesn't say anything.

"I knew he was different, you don't get to be that powerful just by having royal blood—oh shit, Zari's dragon is one of the spirits too, isn't he!" I say, realization sweeping over me.

He raises his eyebrow, throwing me a weird look. "How do you have so much energy?"

"The rock is really warm. Lay down on it, it's like taking a nap without actually having to fall asleep," I explain.