Chapter 23

Tobias pov:

We have been back at the dauntless compound for a day now and Tris is just barely holding in to life right now.
I can't lose her. I can't.
She is my world.
My rock.

She is too important to die.
I think of her and her smile, and in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars. And her beautiful blue-grey eyes that capture me and make me fall in love with her all over again.

Love; it's a big word with a big meaning. We might be two crazy teens in love, but I really do love her and age can't change that.

It's one thing to fall in love. It's another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a responsibility toward that love.

Sometimes I can't see myself when I'm with her. I can only see her.

I am catastrophically in love with her.

I sit by her hospital and hear the slow beeps of the machine that is monitoring her heart rate. I hold Tris's now cold hand in mine and whisper

"If my love were an ocean,
there would be no more land.
If my love were a desert,
you would see only sand.
If my love were a star-
late at night, only light.
And if my love could grow wings,
I'd be soaring in flight."

A few minutes later Tris's doctor walks in. " Tobias I have some bad news.

1. Tris isn't getting better. We don't know if she will last.

2. Um, well I am sorry to say this, but she lost the baby."

I feel like I am going to collapse right there. Baby? What? Tris and I never did anything. I know she wouldn't have cheated so she must have been forced. That would explain why she has been so distant. I have been around her since after the Truth or dare game.
It must have happened that night...
Al. He did it. I know he did. He kissed Tris and left right before Tris did.
I will kill him. I swear I will.

My thoughts are interrupted by something nobody wants to hear.

A long beep. I collapse to the ground crying.

I guess a fire that burns that bright, is not meant to last.

Hey initiates, I am crying right now.
I am sorry that this happened. It just did though. Don't stop reading tho because there will be an epilogue! And I'm really sorry to kill you guys with all the book quotes! I will update in a few hours!

*Sniff sniff*

Remember to be eaton that cake!