Chapter 5: Rest and Recovery

The quiet buzz of my alarm went off near my head. I reached for my phone to shut it of. I still had things I need to do, even if it is on three hours of sleep.

My face immediately heated up as I processed the presence in bed next to me. Todoroki's face was in the crook of my neck, and arms were around my waist. The heat he gave off was comforting and made me never want to move away.

Reluctantly, I untangled myself from him, and looked at his sleeping form. His face was still red and feverish, he looked like he was breathing heavier than normal. I pulled the blanket back over him and got ready for my day.

-

"Good morning." I smiled as Hachi as I squatted next to his kennel. He was laying on his side and looking up at me. 'Morning...' He said back. I could tell he was hurting and every part of me wanted to take that pain away from him. "Please don't try to move, I don't want you ripping anything back open. I also want to give you a check up to make sure nothing went wrong while you slept." You chose your words careful, almost like talking to a child, so you didn't alarm him.

He just let out a small whine. 'I want to see Izuku again...' I reached through the open door and gently pet his head. "I am going to move you now, okay?" I said as I, gently, picked him up from the kennel, moving him to the table. It was times like these when I was extremely grateful he was on the smaller side of his breed.

"Now, I have a few questions for you." I said as I changed his badges and checked his wounds. 'What?' He asked back, curious to what I have to ask. "Why did you run off? And tell me the truth." I said, looking into his dark eyes. I knew he was a trouble maker, but him running off was out of character.

'Well the tall human I was staying with got mad at me because I made a mess so he put me outside... But he wasn't mean and I still like him a lot!' Hachi made sure to clarify the last part. 'He didn't yell, but I could tell he was upset by the way he looked at me. But while I was outside I smelled some food and decided to go after it...but I got lost and people started surrounding me and trying to touch me...I was scared... Then I saw the tall human and got excited to so I tried to go to him.' His tail started thumping against the table as he told me of his experience.

I smiled and gave him a dose of pain meds and his bowl of food after helping him back to the kennel. "Well don't run off again, you had me really worried when the tall human brought you in like that." I smiled at using his name for Todoroki and pet his head one last time before closing the wire door. "I will be back in a little bit."

--

I made my way back up the stair to check on Todoroki and feed the kittens that were most likely cuddled up with him. I opened the door to my bedroom and walked silently over to the resting hero. I put my hand on his forehead again and the other on my own. "Still warm..."

'FEED ME!' One of the kittens forced their thought into my head as it meowed loudly and rubbed itself against my ankles. The other three soon followed the example as they all demanded food. I laughed as I walked to the kitchen with all of them at tow.

As I set a bowl, with the kibble in it, on the ground, and my phone started buzzing in my pocket. I pulled it out, only to have my stomach drop.

 Izuku is calling.

 I sighed and answered it, knowing it was unavoidable. "Hey, how's the mission going?" I greeted. "Ah, good. I will probably be able to come home in a few days, actually." He sounded tired, but he continued talking before I could. "So, have you heard anything from Shouto by any chance? I gave him your number in case of an emergency. Not that anything bad will happen. I tried to call him but he didn't answer, so I thought I would try you." He said with a small laugh, worry obscured in his light tone.

I didn't have the heart not to tell him. "Actually Izuku...Something did happen with Hac-" Izuku cut me off before I could finish. "What?! Is he okay?! I knew something was wrong!" I could hear the panic in his voice as he slightly aised his voice. "Let me finish. And yes, he will be okay... He just needs to rest and stay at the clinic for a while..." I trail off. I knew how much Izuku cared for his dog, it broke my heart telling him Hachi was anything but 100% fine "(F/n), what happened?" He asked calmer, knowing the dog in question would be okay.

"Well... He had gotten out of Todoroki's yard and...gothitbyacar..." The screech coming from the other end of the line could put a banshee out of business. It was the sound of his soul leaving his body. "HE WAS HIT BY A CAR AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME RIGHT AWAY? OH MY GOD! ARE YOU SURE HE IS GOING TO BE OKAY? MY POOR BOY." I held the phone away from my ear as he yelled.

 "I promise my life that he will be 100% fine. There was no major internal damage, just a few broken ribs that look like they will heal back good as new, and he is scrapped up with a few stitches. I am just keeping him here for observations and to make sure he stays calm so he doesn't reopen a wound." Izuku didn't sound completely convinced by my explanation. "Are you sure I don't need to come home early?..."

"Focus on your work. I will take care of everything here." Before He could question me more, I could hear voices in the background telling him to get of the phone and that he was needed. "I've got to go, bye (F/n). tell Hachi I will be home as soon as I can." He said quickly and it was followed with a click.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "Was that Izuku?" A deep voice asked from behind me. I let out a small scream and quickly turned around. I put my hand over my heart as I looked at Todoroki, who was standing by the door. "You scared me... And you shouldn't be out of bed, you still have a fever..." He stretched a little bit and didn't really seem phased. "I always run warm on a thermometer." He said flatly. "Did you tell Izuku about what happened?" He asked. I didn't have to be able to read his mind to know he felt bad about what happened. I nodded and motioned for him to sit at the table. "He was surprised and upset to hear about it, but I think I got it through to hi that Hachi will be fine..."

I put a cup for tea down in front of him. "So are these your clothes?" He changed the topic. I choked a bit on the sip I took and my face turn bright red. "Uh...Yeah, actually... You fainted with a really hot fever and your clothes were wet...So ichangedyououtofthem...I'm sorry..." I got progressively quieter as I looked anywhere but at him. He didn't seem bother by this, though. "Sorry for the trouble." He bowed his head slightly and I waved my hands at him, shaking my head. "It's fine, no need to apologize..." I sipped on my tea, my cheeks still stained pink.

--

'Your back!' Hachi said as I knelt to I opened the door to the kennel and pet him. "Todoroki wanted to see how you were doing. And I talked to Izuku who said he was coming home as soon as he can." I smiled at him as he thumped his tail and looked at us. I turned to look at Todorki. "Do you want to say something to him? I will tell you what he says back." I knew he had something on his mind. He knelt next to me and placed his hand on Hachi's head. "Sorry." It was short, but genuine. That one word seemed to hold a lot more than most.

"It's okay, Tall Human. I'm sorry too." I repeated the dog's response. "Tall Human? Is that what he called me?" Todoroki asked, looking at me, making sure I wasn't joking. I nodded with a laugh. "I don't think he knows your name yet. It took him a long time to pick up on mine." Todoroki looked at Hachi and gave him another pet. "You can call me Shouto."

______________________________________

Sorry if this is out of place but look at how freaking cute my dog is ❤❤ I love him so much and thought I would share his cuteness with all of  you! ❤❤❤